• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

How to: Generac G1000 replacement carburetor retrofit and review

550iFreak

New member
Hello!

I am here to share my knowledge and tutorial on how to get a generac g1000 to work with a carb that you can get anywhere ranging from 10 to 20 dollars.

BACKSTORY:
I found someone on Facebook marketplace who is selling 3 generators for 40 dollars. A chinese 1500watt, a Harbor freight 2 stroke 900watt and the Generac G1000( which I believe worth more than the two combined in it's broken non running condition).

I met with the guy and told me that the carb assembly and air filter housing are missing and unable to be found. It was purchased second hand but parts managed to escape during his ownership ( probably started to part out knowing the carb probably yield him more profit than selling it as a whole). He stated it did ran and produce power. So.....taking a gamble I went ahead and grabbed them. Now here is the adventure of getting it to life.


DISCLAIMER: This repair is meant to be done only if OEM parts are not available. This is not an easy task and irreversible mistakes can be made rendering the repair useless. I am NOT responsible for any damages, injuries or death caused by performing this repair. Please consult with your manuals or guides on torque values and proper installation.

NOTE 2:
If improvements or suggestions are available on this repair, please do not hesitate and comment! This will help others who has the same issue :)


OK, so here's what you'll need if you have the following generator:
G1000
Kawasaki KG550
Kawasaki GA550
Kawasaki FD76 series engine
May be more: comment.

Items:
-79cc predator carburetor( chinese or the rare briggs vanguard mikuni)
-grinder with cutoff wheel
-two m6x1.0 threaded rods
-welder
-jb weld or equivalent epoxy putty
-standard tools

Ok, let's start with seeing if the generator actually works before the repair can be performed. Luckily, I have a working kawasaki kg550a generator so I can take the carb/air filter assembly off and transfer to the G1000.

Engine starts first pull, green light illuminated and sprung my grinder to life. The repair can now start here.

Get your carb and the grinder with the thin cut off disc. You'll need to cut off the outside "ears" since the mounting holes are slightly more inwards than the manifold itself. Basically, it can fit on one hole but half of the other hole is blocked, unable to thread the next mounting bolt.

The carb is now "slotted" and you can shift the carb within the mounting bolts allowing you to center the carb to the intake.

I did a side by side comparison of the two carbs. They both look nearly identical with small differences such as the mounting space length and the throttle arm. Also the fuel inlet is in the wrong side but it will work still.

The throttle arm will need to be shaved down and rewelded to place. The cheap metal is brittle and will break in two piece and needed to be reweld to the shaft. You'll need to position the shaft at wide open throttle and the arm perpendicular to the throttle plate. Basically fitted to the governor resting spot at WOT.

Also, it will need to be drilled so the linkage can be connected. I forgot the drill bit size but it is slightly larger than the linkage arm diameter. It needs to be able to fit the small stabilizer spring as well.

This position WILL NOT allow the idle to hit the stop properly. Since the arm is repositioned, it will hit the stop much earlier causing a much higher idle speed. So.....you'll have to cut off the tongue and rendered no idling option.

It's a generator....and it never idles so this step wont affect its operation if the carb is in proper functioning form.

After all modifications are done, jb weld the arm to the shaft to give it rigidity. The spot welds started to weaken on mines so I give a bit of jb weld for support.

Got the two threaded rods, m6x1.0 in size and pitch. Also custom fit the air filter base and cut the rods to proper length. I then used flanged m6 nuts to fasten them to the intake manifold.

Got it all connected, fitted and filled with fuel.

Started 2 pulls with choke and ran without choke beautifully. Nice and quiet. Smooth too with no hunting. This says alot without an air filter. I put a light air filter from the air conditioner pre cut squares.

Load tested with my 5000 btu air conditioner and running my 3amp grinder tool at the same time. The engine responded very well and able to keep both running at the same time while the throttle is about 25 percent open. Still quiet as hell and definitely underrated. It definitely got more in her but I dont want to unnecessarily overload it.

This means the carburetor is sufficient for this application :)

Now my generac G1000 is alive and actually puts out decent power for its size and still impressed with the noise level.

Bottom are all the pictures on the repair.

Since the OEM are non existent, this is my other option so hopefully it can be your option if you have one of these with a failed or missing carb system.

Performed load test
 

Attachments

Top