• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Humphrey Pump film

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
This short (12 min) film of the Humphrey Pump at Cobdogla has just been released by SA Water

This is the Pump we are trying to save and become operational.....again

"The Humphrey pumps supplied irrigation water, mainly to the areas around Barmera, Loveday and Cobdogla, for nearly 40 years from 1927 until 1965. These historical wonders are part of the Cobdogla Irrigation and Steam Museum in the Riverland. The largest single cylinder engine in the world, the Cobdogla Humphrey pumps were manufactured in 1920 in Scotland and installed in Cobdogla between 1923 and 1925. They were the only two of their kind installed in the southern hemisphere. The pumps ran on gas produced by a wood-fuelled plant, the most efficient use of available fuel at the time, and are part of our long history of innovation to enable economic growth in South Australia."

I hope the link works.

jayvee

Last edited:

Siz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2020
Had the chance years ago to walk around the bottom of the pump when the water was pumped out , great piece of engineering......

jayvee

Registered
Had the chance years ago to walk around the bottom of the pump when the water was pumped out , great piece of engineering......
Until recently, you could go down to the pump floor (at the combustion head) and get up close and personal to the pump. Then you could go down below river level into the Second "well" and see the size of the water inlet, poke your head into the chamber (of the non working pump) and look up and view the 450 flap valves and inside the combustion head.
If you dropped your camera or your watch, ring(s), bracelet(s), etc inside the chamber, it forever stays there, cos I aint going in after it! :rotfl:

Pete Deets

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Do I understand it correctly that the pump uses a water ram effect to create the combustion chamber and the compression to allow the gas to fire?....PD

Pete Deets

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
I am absolutely gobsmacked at the simplicity. I do love places where common sense and nature's actions are used to get a job done........PD

hceeB

Registered
That's how I read it: the water is the piston.

Jarrod.
Very smart, the intelligence of the past is amazing, will have to make the trip to see this operating the piston will never wear out and I suppose the bore will last a long time as well.

Geoff.

jayvee

Registered
Very smart, the intelligence of the past is amazing, will have to make the trip to see this operating the piston will never wear out and I suppose the bore will last a long time as well.

Geoff.
Despite the best efforts of the Museum volunteers, You'll be waiting a while for that to happen. OH&S + Bureaucratic :bs: needs to be addressed.

hceeB

Registered
Despite the best efforts of the Museum volunteers, You'll be waiting a while for that to happen. OH&S + Bureaucratic :bs: needs to be addressed.
Most disappointing, but the world has gone mad with all the OH&S and bureaucracy, and it will only get worse as our younger generations are being brainwashed that the only way to do anything is to go to university and then you know everything,
Problem is they do not learn commonsense at Uni, and the way they are brought up in cotton wool they never learn the limits of anything as we did when we were growing up.
I don't disagree with a university education, but what the graduates need to realize, is that all they did at Uni was learn how to learn and study, the real learning is getting on the job and doing.
Most if not all regulations are dreamt up by Uni graduates without the real world learning, and they seem to think (some ) that you cannot do a job without a degree, because of the look at me attitude, look at me I am doing this job so if you want to do it you must be educated like me.
Total BS, some of it and must add thousands to the cost of doing, that is when you can get through the BS to actually do. Off the soapbox and off to bed.
Geoff

Pete Deets

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Hi Pete,
This is probably the same as the Barmera Tourism document

Correction; No it's not :crazy:

jayvee
Thanks jayvee! It uses some of the same graphics but gives a bit greater detail. .........:wave:..........PD