• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hurricane Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

PrattDave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Elden, we met several times at 'Rooster Run' swap meets. It was always a pleasure to see what you had conjured up. Your latest advice was on a Borg-Warner overdrive that I was installing in my '41 Nash - a great help.

I have relocated to central Iowa and am wishing you the best outcome from your sale and pending surgery. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Dave Pratt

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Again, thanks for your good wishes.

Although we still look like a war zone, things are looking up. Basic utilities are restored and, although I think our house will be a teardown (insurance approval pending), we are on the trail of a rental and have replaced our car.

Still no word on my surgery but we are working to try to get me into University of Alabama Birmingham to get 'er done.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Sure wish I could be at your sale. Always love the stuff you come up with! My favorite is the American LaFrance speedster! I think Jay Leno would be jealous of that one. :D

Best wishes on your future surgery and subsequent recovery. :)

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I would love to purchase that little diesel but CT to FL is a little too far for me. Good luck with your sale and surgery.

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
I too am sorry to see this post. I know personally what health problems are also.
I always have enjoyed your posts and videos.
I have also committed some sell offs and deeply regretted it. Always a worry I know to think one may not be here.
Wondering how many people will be able to show up on such short notice I would advise you buy an old simi trailer, park it in your street and fill it up.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
I tend to think Mathew may be right. rent or buy one of those large shipping containers and use it as a temp storage. Then after you get feeling better it'll be easier to deal with.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
So Sorry to hear of your situation(s) after reading your earlier thread from a vacation spot away from the storm not knowing what to expect when you got home again, and then THIS.

I applaud you on your "terms of Sale and/or giveaways" letting things go to good homes regardless of what they go for. Hopefully a few items will bring even more than you expect out of them.

I read in an earlier post that the plans & drawings would go with each of the models, and thought you might want to keep 'copies' of some of them like the Hart-Parr based engine and anything else you might consider building another version of sometime.

Also thought, IF you decide to part with machine shop equipment, you might want to hang onto some of the more "Specialized" tooling. The Mill and Lathe are easily replaceable, but not so much some of the "Extras" used for special projects.

Don't know what your 'long term' plans are for rebuilding, but personally I would probably go with a LARGE Shop Building with 'living space' and room for a large Motor Home that you could live in At Home AND Abroad with the ability to comfortably go anywhere anytime while still having a place to call Home.

Good Luck with the Sale, and More Importantly, Good Luck with the Surgery and Recovery Process.

:salute:

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
If the sale is a dud, I now have a backup plan and that is to buy a neighbor's flat two axle trailer and find someone to put what doesn't sell on it, park it in my neighbor's vacant lot and cover the works with a tarp. That will work until the neighborhood committee starts raising cain.

All of it will be subject to humidity but will most likely survive.

If I ever start a new shop, I will get a smaller lathe and mill. The tooling (R-8) for the mill will not work, so it goes with it.

I may be going in for my surgery as early as the end of next week. The sooner the better.

Charlie1925

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2020
Elden; You and I ran into each other down at the Fly wheelers a couple of years back, we didn`t talk long because of the amount of people around there. Firstoff take care of your health and Gods speed. I was thinking of you after the storm came Through. Get well soon. Roger Weinhold Acworth, Ga. AKA Charlie 1925 :salute:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Elden, I too am sorry for your loss. Your main concern should be your health, and I wish you well. I hope your surgery comes out OK, and that they get it all the first time. Material possessions can be replaced. Your life cannot. Get well and God Bless.
Andrew Mackey

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Dale:

The sale wasn't a roaring success but I did sell the Jack of All Trades engine for the reserve price. The buyer got the Lenoiresque engine as a bonus.

I also gave the Diesel engine to a web page watcher who drove all the way from Texas to meet me and take his engine home.

As it is, I've reached a point where I can almost manage to temporarily store everything else except the lathe and mill which didn't sell.

Since it will be at least six months until demolition or rebuilding can start, I will hopefully be back in shape enough to posibly move the heavy stuff out of the way of construction. If not, I can schedule a sale for it well in advance and maybe attract some more buyers.

It was a nice day and the buyer of the Fairbanks and a friend from Louisville helped me hammer on the overhead garage doors so they will now open and close. My friend's wife helped my DW in mining the debris for small things she thought were lost.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Glad you got that much done & got your garage back in usable condition. Just take it one day at a time & good luck with the surgery. Glad you had a good day for the Sale. Take care of yourself!

hitmissfan

Registered
elden,

I'm sorry to hear that your sale wasn't a great success. Id have loved to have been able to make it to bid on the 30-60 hart parr model. but just bought a new to me (old used) truck and the dealership didn't have everything ready in time. Best wishes with your surgery hope it all goes well. maybe one day we can meet.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
“Thank you” doesn't really convey our thoughts to those who help and offer best wishes.

In addition to you, I am really impressed by the number of people from all over the country who have volunteered to help our communities. Some of them cover roofs with those stylish “Florida look” blue tarps.

Some help move stuff. Police and firemen from all over come to help keep order. Outfits.like Salvation Army and others give hot meals to anyone who asks. Some local and distant restaurants serve free hot meals from tents.

Sure, there are a few looters around but they are quickly rounded up. There are also swarms of contractors around and some are obviously scammers. We are avoiding all of them for now and my neighbors and I are going to try to get a good trusted contractor to do all three of our houses at the same time or in order.

Anyway, it may take a couple of years but we are determined to come back from the little breeze we had.

Now, I need to get my ticker fixed so I can be of some use around here.

SamC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2019
Elden, I am so sorry about your difficult times and your health. Your health absolutely comes first! I am glad to see that you are able to move foreward from such a devastation. You certainly have a great outlook on things. We are praying for you all. God bless you, your family, neighbors, and all of those who are helping to rebuild. Sincerely, Sam Carroll

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Sorry about everything Elden. But your health has to come first. If I had the money and was in good health. I would have been there. My sister in law lives outside of Eglin AFB. From what my sister told me. They made out ok. Good luck with the surgery. I will save you a seat at Rusty's.