• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hurricane Michael has forced me to part with my stuff.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Sorry about everything Elden. But your health has to come first. If I had the money and was in good health. I would have been there. My sister in law lives outside of Eglin AFB. From what my sister told me. They made out ok. Good luck with the surgery. I will save you a seat at Rusty's.
Hey, Cuzzin Billy:

Who be Rusty? :uhoh: :)

Brasherman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Elden,
I wish for you a speedy recovery and an easy rebuild of your home. I hope you find good storage and can enjoy your toys soon!
Corey

Alan Svanes

Registered
Elden
When I am browsing through the forums you if I see your name on a post I will read it because I know that I will always learn something. So sorry to hear about your troubles and I will be praying for a speedy recovery.
I have the thought that someone a bit more computer savvy than me would set up a go fund me account for Elden. I know I would want to contribute to it.
Again that Elden for the time you have taken to share your knowledge with us.

Alan

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Alan:

My personal thank you button is getting tattered but thank you for your thoughts. I'll be fine.

Please don't raise money for me and Elaine. We will be okay. If anyone wants to donate to the hurricane victims, my choice would be Salvation Army. They were here fast and delivered hot meals to people working or just staring at the job ahead.

We give to Salvation Army because just about every cent goes to their mission. Also, the young ladies who drive the truck that deliver the meals give me a hug when they see me. I guess I'm a grandfather figure to them. Those hugs are priceless.

Yesterday, we lined up a rental house in the neighborhood with two garage stalls for me to eventually move the rest of my stuff into until we can rebuild. I won't be able to do much for at least three months, but what's left of our house will be there until I can get well enough to start moving.

The mill will just have to be dragged into the driveway out of the way of the builders and tarped. A good grease job will preserve it.

A plan is beginning to emerge from the chaos.

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Elden. Rusty's is really Country Cousin's BBQ. Great place to eat. Rusty is the owner I have known him for a few years. Used to be a little walk up shack. He slowly built the new place so it is all paid for. I even have a reserved table. But I don't go on weekends because the place is packed. I hate crowds.

Good luck with everything.

I agree with you on the Salvation Army. I have worked with them several tornado's here in Texas. Great people. Much better than the Red(rip off) Cross group.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Gang:

After a while, things are starting to improve.

A group named Samaratin's Purse (a Franklin Graham ministry) came and cleaned out the house and sprayed for mold. This is a really great group of people who volunteer their time to help those in need.

The first photo is us with the Samaritan's Purse crew that was here today. The members of the crew change a bit every day, as some have to go back home for jobs, etc. and others show up to work.

The second photo shows all of the stuff that was removed from the house.

The third photo shows what the inside of our home looks like after they'd cleaned it out.

Elaine and I cannot thank them enough for all the help they've been!

If you want to see all of the photos (more than 500!) I've taken so far, you can go to my Dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7x1ddp6thrfra79/AAAOad7wQVLjwpBvA5fdQb-Ea?dl=0

More good news is that, after a delay of over two months, I will finally be getting my atrial valve replaced. My open heart surgery (otherwise known as the chainsaw massacre procedure) is scheduled for December 20th at University of Alabama Hospital in Birmingham. We're both hoping everything goes well and I can get rehabbed quickly and get to work on getting back into our home.

Thirty years ago, this whole thing would have been an interesting challenge. Nowadays, it is just a pain in the patootie.:)

Attachments

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
04/15/2020
Elden,
Glad to hear that things are going better for you. Samaratin's Purse is an organization that is real close to where I live. They are a great bunch of people. It's nice to see people give thanks to ones that help others in times of need. Hope your health is getting better.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
Samaritans Purse did a lot of work in this area after Harvey. The Mennonites also redid a bunch of homes too. Still lots of good people out there.:salute:

Good luck with the surgery.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Hang in there Eldon, as you can see things are getting better & now just to get that Surgery behind you will be great. Pretty soon you will be well enough to tinker a little. Each day will be better than the day before. There is still a LOT of good people in this old world including you!

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Elden: Thanks for the update and photos :) . Doctors today with there training are better at valve jobs :uhoh: than we are with our old engines :p that we keep running :rolleyes: . You'll do OK :D . Paul-oldihc

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Gang,

Just a short note to let youall know that, today, i was released from the ICU and am now recovering in a hospital room here at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. Should be back in a week or so.

Doc says everything went well and he fixed an undetected aneurism.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Each day will be a little better than the last, Hang in there Elden and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Been there, done that!

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
You've been briefed on the deal so pay attention to the doc's recommendations.
Don't lift this, don't twist etc. You'll be whittling metal in no time. You'll get bored quickly so post up.

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Elden: Glad to hear things went well :) . Just take it easy, do the rehab, and start back slowly, work smarter, and all that stuff :p . I have my "HEART" pillow at the end of the bed to remind me, "EVERY" day :rolleyes: , take it easy, you don't want a re-run :( .

Attachments