I.B.C Piston Pump 2" stroke, x 2 1/2" bore restoration

muzzery

Hi all,
A little project I have been doing over the last year, whilst waiting for parts from my farm pumper. I found this piece in a box - disassembled, and very worn, when I brought a piece of furniture home from a garage sale.
A friend is hoping to use it to pull water up a 70 metre lift, from his creek, to his hops garden, a little homebrew supply sideline he is starting.
I sand blasted the casing and parts, started repainting, and found the steel bushes for the main gears, as well as the gears themselves, were stuffed, with egg shape holes to run in. The top output shaft was badly scored, and its bushes also flogged out.
I was telling the same mate about it, and he commented that he tripped over a lump of cast iron in his paddock the same week. It turned out to be the same size pump, but with a milk pump attachment! So that became our spare parts rig...
I had the output shaft spraywelded and remachined beautifully by Allan Murray, his workshop is in Brendale, Brissy. He was the only bloke I could find, who was able to do this, and it turns out he's got a few piston pumps himself.
So I feel happy with the condition of the gearbox end, and I am learning about the wet end next.
I have an old tyre inner tube, with which I am hoping to cut some gaskets, and the leather buckets are available at beerwah rural supplies at a reasonable price, so I am told.
It has a serial number 69 b, although this gearbox lid was givven to me by a local antique metal enthusiast.
This is a good practice run for the much larger IBC piston pump i have resting at pasture on a mate's farm. Tarped up of course..
I will post progress and pics as it goes.

Attachments

muzzery

Hello, can anyone tell me how to repack the small gland on the pump shaft?
My father made a new shaft, stainless steel, to replace the worn brass shaft. Now I am moving into the wet end- pretty sure the gearbox end is all finished. I have new leather buckets ready to install, new washers in between the buckets turned out of some old scrap cast iron, and I'm just stumped at the packing gland. Thanks, Murray

muzzery

Scott thanks, that's exactly what I need. I'll just have to find the packing now.
I'll take some photos of the milk pump end when I get home and put them up on here.

T A Baker

Hi Muzz, try wrapping some plumbers hemp soaked with either grease or soap around the piston. I've used this on all my pumps with no problems.
Cheers,
Tim.

Scotty 2

I'll just have to find the packing now.
Hello Muzz,
Most irrigation shop have the packing in various sizes. It there's no-one close by, our local shop has a few sizes of the packing in stock. I can bung it in the post.
Or if I have the right size, I can cut some to length and post.

Cheers Scott

muzzery

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. I found some packing at beerwah fruit growers co-op. I will put some pics up when I've done this job. It's great to be able to learn new (old ) skills.

Attachments

muzzery

Scotty
the piston is missing from this piece, its really only worth its weight in looking at. the foot valve might be useful to someone