• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

I COULD USE SOME HELP !!!!

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Could use some help!!!!
I have taken the 3 curve B Section Sheave and Sprocket off of the out put shaft of the PTO. This PTO is on a 1978 Ditch Witch M 422 Walk Behind Ditcher. But I broke a tooth on the sprocket cause I couldn't get the set screw loose cause I couldn't turn the shaft so the set screw was pointing up. The sprocket that I'm needing is a single sprocket - 18 teeth - 40 chain- 3/8 key way - 1" 11/16" shaft - Posting 2 pics of the bad sprocket. The sprocket doesn't have to be a new sprocket - a used sprocket in good condition would work.

Attachments

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Thanks for your help
I tried Rural King all they have is hubs with weld on sprocket
I called McMaster-Car they dont have it - all they have is a hub with a weld on sprocket - I dont know if I have room to use a hub with weld on sprocket meaning the distance between the pto case and where the sprocket has to be. That is why I rather find a 1 piece sprocket as in the pics
The machine came out with the one piece sprocket - want to try to find the same kind of sprocket.
If I could find some one that know where to find the sprocket new or used or how to get hold of a Wisconsin dealer that handles pto parts - but the pto dont have a tag on the pto
I believe there is the single sprocket out there some where. All I need to do is find it - easier said than done lol

Last edited:

CharlieB

Registered
Could use some help!!!!
I have taken the 3 curve B Section Sheave and Sprocket off of the out put shaft of the PTO. This PTO is on a 1978 Ditch Witch M 422 Walk Behind Ditcher. But I broke a tooth on the sprocket cause I couldn't get the set screw loose cause I couldn't turn the shaft so the set screw was pointing up. The sprocket that I'm needing is a single sprocket - 18 teeth - 40 chain- 3/8 key way - 1" 11/16" shaft - Posting 2 pics of the bad sprocket. The sprocket doesn't have to be a new sprocket - a used sprocket in good condition would work.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
If the rest of the sprockets look like the one above, you need to replace them all. For a 1 piece sprocket you will most likely need to get a new sprocket and machine bore to fit your shaft, or find a used one that will fit. Boston Gear and other mfrs carry blank sprockets.

CharlieB

Registered
Yup. Time to replace that old worn out sprocket.
The chain, too. It's probably as worn as the sprocket.
On Google, you can find many, many suppliers who stock the #40 chain, 18 tooth sprockets, but none stock the 1-11/16" bore. (I checked.) Custom size bores are pricey. Might have to find an OEM Ditch Witch part, or bore out a 1-5/8" bore sprocket to 1-11/16" and file 1/32" off the top of the key.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
Sounds like you are going to have to go to Ditch Witch for the part... or you could get the proper 18 tooth #40 chain sprocket with the wrong bore and have it bored to 1-11/16th and the key broached to 3/8's... or if you could size up one of these then get the bushing you need...

Attachments