• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

I found a back wheel today

MFaris

Registered
It's 7 feet in diameter and between 24-30 inches wide. From a distance I was sure it was off a traction engine, but up close it just seems too light for its size with a fairly small axle diameter. I'm beginning to think it may be off a big gas tractor, but I really don't know. I'll link this post over on the tractor side.20200130_125009.jpg20200130_125029.jpg20200130_125016.jpg20200130_125040.jpg20200130_125054.jpg.
Does it look familiar to anyone?

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
84" diameter x 24" wide. 30-60 Aultman Taylor. I just happened to have a wheel band for one sitting out in memory lane....

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Another vote for 30-60 Aultman Taylor. The hub is very distinctive. Alan had one that I did a fair bit of work on including extensions.

MFaris

Registered
Yep I think you guys nailed it!
In the near future I'll take a trip over to the farm this wheel was acquired from to see if anything else is still kicking around; the people who have the wheel said nothing else was there but you never know (they got it to make a fire pit, that won't be happening now).

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
(they got it to make a fire pit, that won't be happening now).
Dragging it home perhaps? Make it your driveway ornament like Doug and we'll find you the appropriate scrawny chicken to stand in as the eagle. That'd be a hell of a sight!

JoeCor

Registered
Well that sucks. Do you have any history on the tractor?
Sadly no, the owner of that property passed away some years ago. If it was really there it would be an interesting story just due to the timeline of this valley being settled and cleared. The fires we’ve had through this valley have seen to everything old disappearing.