• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

I have never had more respect for our friends The Amish !

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I've seen a few vids on YT of the Amish moving barns this way, do they build them then change their mind on where they want them? No Amish out west that I know of, plenty of Mormons, they have a saying "many hands make light work", but I've never seen them move a barn.

gdstew

Registered
Oh, there was something to be gained. I have dealt with them for a long time, some really good friends, and some that are always working the angle. Did you notice the power lines and electric fence? They are a different bunch, and it all depends which family they are from. I live just minutes away from Sugarcreek, OH The 3rd largest tourist attraction in the state, just behind Cedar Point and King's Island Amusement parks.

forney00c

Registered
There is a barn just outside of Bruno, Nebraska that was moved entirely by man power in 1988. 344 people moved the barn 100 feet up a hill and out of an area that frequently flooded. To this day, the metal framework that was used to grab onto and lift the barn is still fastened to its sides.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
What sort of floor would they have? Or just earth? If it were concrete better to have the slab ready I would think.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Mr. Bard,
Thank you for posting the video. I have watched it several times! Quite amazing really.
It would be interesting to know of some of the pre-planning. Obviously, it had to be well co-ordinated. Those Amish lads are strong farm boys so each one would have a greater lift capacity than many of us on here. I wonder what they reckoned for the average lift per person? They also had to sustain the lift for the period of time and over uneven terrain. At 67, I can still lift a fair weight, but there isn't a chance of me maintaining that lift for that long. What did the building weigh?
At the start, we can hear the voice commands. There must have been a meeting before hand to get everyone on the same page. It is too bad the later voice commands were covered with music. It would have been interesting to hear the voice commands when they got to that big turning of the building in place near the end of the video when all those feet had to be going in the proper directions.
Again, excellent video and post!

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks for posting the video.
I have never seen a building moved by hand, but I have a four car wood frame carport that I often thought about moving that way.
I am surprised that the lifting rail is so high, looks like it is right below there heads. I would think a lower lift point would be better. With that many people I don't think that each individual person would have to lift a extremely large amount of weight.

Leo Bard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
Plenty of temporary bracing put in place before cutting support poles. Poles then 'sistered' at new site. Electric fencing mentioned previously had very old ceramic insulators, probably merely long-abandoned fencing. Power poles run across most of America, Amish or not. A slab already in place would be difficult to 'sister' poles. You can always do a slab later. A good take-away from this would be, 'where there's a will, there's a way"!:clap:

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
I've seen them move a barn with horses, their barns could not be moved like that shed, they build them to stay up for ever!
We had a neighbor, not Amish, move to a new location a few miles away. He parked his pickup inside his two car garage, jacked up the garage, nailed in some supports and drove it down the road. Left the overhead door open so he could see where he was going. Funniest looking sight I'd ever seen.