I Made Some Progress on My 1 HP Mogul

M J Turner

Well, I gathered up a few parts and started a little work on my 1 HP IHC Mogul engine.
You all might remember my first thread concerning this old engine:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146719
The worst part of this engine rebuild so far has been getting this joker apart! Getting the old gib keys out wasn't nearly as bad as getting the key out of the cam on the end of the crank!!
Anyway, the old make-shift cab that was on it had to be removed. Someone had brazed a piece of manifold on top of the Mogul manifold. Luckily, I was able to get that crap off and I exposed the top of the Mogul manifold. I then started cleaning and putting the parts on the engine that everyone was so gracious to sell me for the project. I am getting closer to making her run again!
I might have to make a few parts for now until I can locate some original parts. There is a big chunk broken off and missing from the bracket that HOLDS the cam follower. I do have the cam follower (A) and the exhaust push rod (B). I figure I will need to make a sleeve to contain the follower and allow it to move freely. The follower has a slot in the bottom (or top??) side that rides on a raised area inside the sleeve to prevent it from turning. The piece I will have to make (C) will need to extend back to the broken bracket. As I have seen on other engines, my manufactured part will need to have a hole in to allow the igniter arm to move up and down a good bit as it rides on the crankshaft cam. Pics below.
Thanks for looking. Tips, ideas and encouragement are welcomed!

Attachments

M J Turner

Re: I made some pregress on my 1 HP mogul

This is the piece of the bracket I will need to make.
It seems to have a bit more to it that just holding the cam follower:

Attachments

M J Turner

It appears from this picture that the bottom of the bracket will also have to support the fuel pump lever. This lever must need to ride on the same cam as the igniter arm.

Attachments

Heins

Subscriber

Here are some pictures of an engine we are working on, maybe they will help you.
The last picture is an engine that sold at an auction last sat and it brought $325.

Attachments

Last edited:

M J Turner

Thanks so much for those pictures Heins!
That is exactly what I needed to show the relationship between all the parts that are secured to the bracket.

Have a great day!

Mike
:salute:

M J Turner

Another BIG THANKS to you heins for measuring your Fuel Pump Driver rod and sending me those dimensions.
I am determined to get this old engine going and you have been a huge help!
The dimensions are shown below in case someone else needs them:

Best Regards to you!!

Mike

Attachments