• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

I need a bigger battery!

OnanParts

Sponsor
With almost a 9KW load on the output that dang little 48V battery drops to 44.8 :eek:

Heavy on the sarcasm folks...:) Typical loads are usually under 2-3 KW so the bigger battery can wait...for awhile anyway.:)

Attachments

OnanParts

Sponsor
What is the screen shot from? Inverter? Just 8 - 6 volt batteries? How long can you pull that load? Is this running your home or shop? :cool:
Screen shot from a Mate 3 connected to an Outback Radian GS8048 Hybrid Inverter/Charger. 8KW continuous 120/240 split phase with a 16KW surge. 115 Amps on the DC battery charging side when grid or generator connected. One nice feature is load assist. It will sinc with my genset for starting heavy surge loads that it or the genny couldn't start on their own.

The 9KW load was a max load test. When used in UPS mode for the home/shop the battery bank is good for 6-12 hours depending on the loads. I never run it down below 50% SOC, state of charge.

I'm on the grid but slowly working my way off of it. For now the UPS mode keeps me from having to fire up any of my gensets during short grid failures. PV and hydro are in the future. :)

Earlier this year I got my hands on a Midnite Solar charge controller. Good for 30 amps, 12, 24, 36 or 48 VDC. It's their latest MPPT CC called the KIDD. Now I just need some PV panels and decent location for MicroHydro. :D

Attachments

BTPost

Staff member
Yea, those T105's will not hold that kind of load, for long.... I am using L16HD's on a Trace 4048, and they aren't really big enough for 4Kw of load. You might want to go look at some Traction Batteries. Those that are used in Industrial Electrical Forklifts. They aren't cheap, but they will hold up better than any of the Alternative Energy types on the Market.

Joseph

Screen shot from a Mate 3 connected to an Outback Radian GS8048 Hybrid Inverter/Charger. 8KW continuous 120/240 split phase with a 16KW surge. 115 Amps on the DC battery charging side when grid or generator connected. One nice feature is load assist. It will sinc with my genset for starting heavy surge loads that it or the genny couldn't start on their own.

The 9KW load was a max load test. When used in UPS mode for the home/shop the battery bank is good for 6-12 hours depending on the loads. I never run it down below 50% SOC, state of charge.

I'm on the grid but slowly working my way off of it. For now the UPS mode keeps me from having to fire up any of my gensets during short grid failures. PV and hydro are in the future. :)

Earlier this year I got my hands on a Midnite Solar charge controller. Good for 30 amps, 12, 24, 36 or 48 VDC. It's their latest MPPT CC called the KIDD. Now I just need some PV panels and decent location for MicroHydro. :D
Need panels here you go as low as 32 cents a watt.
http://sunelec.com/

4Strokeguy

Hey,
Hi there haven't posted as of late (long time actually)
But, yes I was thinking along the same lines.
Them traction batteries are great if you can manage to move them into place. It would be nice if some battery manufacture would sell the 2 volt cells to configure into a module. I have seen others separate these cells from used batteries where one or more had gone bad. The one problem is these cells tend to be tall with respects to the width and would be hard to transport if not bundled.
I have thought of buying a used lift just to get the battery but that would be hard to sell.
My problem is I have more ideas than my budget can afford.
Another issue is here in Wisconsin, our utility is about to smack down solar in a big way if the public service commission gives them the green light.
Story below
http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-23870-we-energies%E2%80%99-war-on-its-solar-customers.html

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Hey,
Hi there haven't posted as of late (long time actually)
But, yes I was thinking along the same lines.
Them traction batteries are great if you can manage to move them into place. It would be nice if some battery manufacture would sell the 2 volt cells to configure into a module. I have seen others separate these cells from used batteries where one or more had gone bad. The one problem is these cells tend to be tall with respects to the width and would be hard to transport if not bundled.
I have thought of buying a used lift just to get the battery but that would be hard to sell.
My problem is I have more ideas than my budget can afford.
Another issue is here in Wisconsin, our utility is about to smack down solar in a big way if the public service commission gives them the green light.
Story below
http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-23870-we-energies%E2%80%99-war-on-its-solar-customers.html
I've come to the conclusion that grid-tie systems are just not worth the hassle and expense, every utility I've talked to wants complete access to my system, they want me to get insurance policies with power co as beneficiary, and they want to tack on additional fees. All in all just not worth it:shrug:

OnanParts

Sponsor
I've come to the conclusion that grid-tie systems are just not worth the hassle and expense, every utility I've talked to wants complete access to my system, they want me to get insurance policies with power co as beneficiary, and they want to tack on additional fees. All in all just not worth it:shrug:
Ditto on that! Once I have the piece of dirt I want that is suitable for hydro and solar, if the "grid" is available it will be for "backup" and the occasional heavy load. My Radian is designed for GridTie/sell back but ain't no way that's going to happen for all the reason's stated by dalmatiangirl61.

Some utilities barely look at you as long as everything is UL/ETL listed and properly installed etc. Others will put ya under a microscope and look really really hard.