• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

I need some direction with two welders I am repairing. A 1970 Miller Big 40(f-163 continental) and Miller Trailblazer 350 vd(Kaiser 4f-ipu) thanks

Shanecinboise

Registered
Thank you for responding. For starters I need any documentation available for either or both welders listed and engines. Especially the Kaiser as it is basically a go through and tune up. The F-163 had rain accumulation that locked it up. I got it removed from the welder and finally broke free. It needs valves and probably a new carb. The bottom end was surprisingly great. The cam and valves didn't fare so we'll. I'm in Idaho and don't know if anyone knows someone local to Boise who is good with these engines. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Is that engine with eight valves in the block or is it with four valves in the block and the other valves in the head?

cobbadog

Registered
It is good that you have got it freed up and now you can move forward. Valves maybe able to be ground back to a useful size if not new valves are availave as I have found out looking for some very odd size valves. As for the cam, you might get lucky with another engine sitting in the paddock somewhere or again As I have just done, re-built the cam up then had it ground to size as well. These things of mine were on a vintage stationary engine and far more similar than your engine but it is a job that can be done.

Shanecinboise

Registered
It is good that you have got it freed up and now you can move forward. Valves maybe able to be ground back to a useful size if not new valves are availave as I have found out looking for some very odd size valves. As for the cam, you might get lucky with another engine sitting in the paddock somewhere or again As I have just done, re-built the cam up then had it ground to size as well. These things of mine were on a vintage stationary engine and far more similar than your engine but it is a job that can be done.
I'll keep that in mind, and hey at least the kaiser isn't locked up. I put a good battery in and turned it over. At risk of sounding like a total idiot, where is the dipstick ? Yes I left myself wide open saying that, but I can't find it.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I'll keep that in mind, and hey at least the kaiser isn't locked up. I put a good battery in and turned it over. At risk of sounding like a total idiot, where is the dipstick ? Yes I left myself wide open saying that, but I can't find it.
On some engines the dipstick is on the oil filler cap. I'll look on mine and see.
Here is a picture of the flat head Jeep engine. The dipstick is attached to the oil filler cap.

Attachments

Last edited:

cobbadog

Registered
I'm not familiar with these engines or welders as I dont think many if any made it out here. Good advise to look on the oil filler cap and NO I wont offer up a 'smart@rse' reply about where id the dipstick. I work on the assumption that you assume nothing. If we don't ask questions we dont learn. I bought a 9 ton Hino truck to cart our vintage tractors and engines around with and the seller asked if I knew where the cold start was on this model. Imediately I owned up and said no. Just as well it is not obvious where it is and if I was going to bluff my way through the purchase I sure would look stupid trying to start it. Little did I know that the engine is in such good condition I very rarely use the glow plugs to start Lorry up.
So always ask questions.