Identifing the maker of my engine

Judd Rogers

I have a 2 1/2hp Rock island engine. That is what the tag says, but I'm told and read that many companies made engines sold by them. Alamo has been suggested as the manufacturer of this engine. After reading as much as I could find on the subject, it seems that an "A" preceeding the serial number denotes an "Alamo Rock Island". My serial number is in the 101000s but lacks that A. It sure looks like an Alamo to me, but I've not too much experience. I'll post some pictures to help. Does anyone know who else built engines sold by Rock Island? This research is great fun and I'm trying to get my 14 year old involved. Thanks for your time.
Judd

KenK

Jacob Haish of Dekalb, Il. Made early Rock Island. Your serial # sounds pretty high. If it looks like an Alamo, it probably is.

Joe Morris

I have a 2 1/2hp Rock island engine. That is what the tag says, but I'm told and read that many companies made engines sold by them. Alamo has been suggested as the manufacturer of this engine. After reading as much as I could find on the subject, it seems that an "A" preceeding the serial number denotes an "Alamo Rock Island". My serial number is in the 101000s but lacks that A. It sure looks like an Alamo to me, but I've not too much experience. I'll post some pictures to help. Does anyone know who else built engines sold by Rock Island? This research is great fun and I'm trying to get my 14 year old involved. Thanks for your time.
Judd
I have always found that the Rock Island engines were just Alamos painted brown and all parts of both engine makes were the same as far as I could tell.