• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

identify old burner

oldironfever

Good morning, don't know as im worried about identifying it but rather curious what it was used for. ive seen this burner used once underneath an evaporator pan cooking cane syrup. itll throw a really good flame for sure. to be honest it didn't work the greatest under the pan because the heat ws too much in one spot. looked like it needed a heat transfer plate or something.

Attachments

ulgydog56

may have been used on a old coal converted furnace or factory app, it should have a flame spreader for it, the nozzle should have a drill size that you can convert into btu,s lp or nat gas to tell you how big it is:D

this is by definition an atmospheric in-shot Gas Burner it could have been made by generally anyone as the patents were expired many moons ago, the second picture clearly shows on the end of the burner a flame retention ring so no flame spreader should be required, they were used in many cases in multiples to get the capacity required for the application, as with all burners the flame is required to be burned in suspension thus not allowing impingement which would lead to overheating a particular surface area

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
My house has a hot water boiler - Hydronic heat - that I believe is from 1954. Originally coal fired, but converted to natural gas at some point. The burner I have is similar to the one shown, but has a flame spreader plate above the burner.
System was originally strictly gravity flow, but response time was measured in hours. I added circulator pumps and cut that down to 15 - 20 minutes from bumping the thermostat up to feeling the radiators get warm.
A side note: The burner gas valve is operated by a Honeywell 'Millivolt Thermocouple' It operates without any external electrical supply. I have a large trolling motor deep cycle battery and a small (400 watt) inverter that will run the pumps for a while in the event of a power failure in the winter. Battery is kept on a float maintainer. The pumps are rated at .74 amps each for a total of around 180 watts. Even without the pumps running, I will still have heat, just takes longer for the hot water to get around.

Attachments

ulgydog56

john those old systems were very reliable and bullet proof , u have a upshot burner, nothing wrong with gravity heat once those cast iron rads get hot they stay hot also self contained, just not super energy ef, I know been in heating and a contractor for 40 years...:D