• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Identify old car

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I'm unable to ID it from what can be seen there. But, I can tell its a bit later than 1912. You can see that it has demountable rims. These didn't come along until after 1915. Ford didn't start using them on the T's until 1919. Based on the shape of the fenders, top irons, etc. I'd put the car at probably a '17 or a bit later vintage. I doubt its any earlier than that.

douginil

Registered
Thank you! I know it predates 1912 because the man holding the child, towards the right side of the picture, passed away in January of 1911.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I keep looking at that photo and think something about it looks familiar. For some reason I think that car is a J I Case........

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Sorry to disagree with your statement about it being pre-1912, but I'm with Tommy Turner (LCJudge) on the age of the car . . . " Based on the shape of the fenders, top irons, etc. I'd put the car at probably a '17 or a bit later vintage". It could be as early as 1914, but I've never seen anything like what's in your photo with fenders or the rear tub on a touring car that was built before that.

Last edited:

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I'm pretty sure it is a 1916 or 17 Buick, Not sure of the story but it is definitely newer than 12.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Oldtech I believe you nailed it. I kept looking at it and thinking "I've seen that before". I've had a few old Buicks and have a '27 Sedan in the garage. What gives it away is the top iron rack located at the back of the vehicle. Some cars had saddles or racks for the top irons but Buick's was a bit unique in that it was larger than most and looped on both the top and bottom. If you'll look at the original old photo I zoomed in on the top iron saddle. Then you'll see a photo of a '17 Buick with the same top iron saddle. The top material is cut a little different but tops were replaced every few years back in the days the cars were used and it was left up to the upholsterer what he wanted the top to look like.

Attachments

douginil

Registered
Thanks for all of your responses! Older family member told me that the family drove REO cars in that time frame. I looked at a number of pics on the Web, and the kickup on the back of the fender and the diameter of the brake sure look like a 1910 or 1911 REO. I know the tall man in the foreground owned a 1914 REO as his first car. I have the original license paper work for it. He was my Grandad. So, perhaps a REO?

SparkyMil

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2020
My guess would be early 20's Studebaker, based on wheel spokes, shape and style of fender, configuration of top bows and also location of hole in running board apron. My father had a 1923 Studebaker Big six seven passenger touring and these features are almost identical. I wish I could see the center of hubcap to see if it has a "S" in it. Jim

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
OK Doug, your last comment about a 1914 REO is important. I looked at purchasing a 1914 REO a couple months ago and took some photos. Below is a picture cropped like what is shown in your old family photo. Sure looks to be the same car to me in all details. The 1914 REO was newly redesigned and the earlier cars had a very different body.

Attachments

douginil

Registered
This is the one picture that I have of Grandad's 1914 Reo. The cars look very similar. Even to similar damage on the rear fenders. I don't know how to blow up these pictures. It would be nice to compare the fender damage. We may have solved the mystery? Thank you everyone for your help! Doug

Attachments

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
OK I think you win, In the enhanced photo I could see that the rear wheels had bolts through the spokes outboard of the hub. Not a Buick thing. Also it looks like the rear doors may be rear hinged. Again , not a Buick thing. Top and clamp holder looked right but several makes had similar, Identifying pre 1920 cars can be quite difficult as there were so many and, of course, many very similar ones.

SparkyMil

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2020
Top irons or bows are different as noted, also the Reo fender is flat top and fender on original photo has a curved or arched top, IMO those cars are not the same.