• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Identify this battery?... thing (ROOF TOP BOW CLAMP)

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Re: Identify this battery ?... thing

Uh... so many possibilities. Bottle opener, Nut cracker, brass knuckles... or battery teminal cleaner.
Doc

Fred Gibson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/17/2019

Happy Easter E279 , Your mystery item is a 1920's touring car top Bow clamp.

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020

Cheers all! Top bow clamp makes a lot more sense than it being battery related.....

Inter Bloke

Registered

Happy Easter E279 , Your mystery item is a 1920's touring car top Bow clamp.
G'Day Andrew !

Fred's absolutely right ! They were attached to the side of the touring car tub, one on each side behind the rear doors, and when the top was folded down the clamp once the top was held in it and latched down stopped it from moving. They were a generic item although larger company's like Ford and Chev may have used one supplied in house but a body builder like "Holden's" were at that time could put the components they sourced on anything they built a body for, so it could be off a Dodge, Essex, Studebaker or a myriad of other US makes or even Vauxhalls, Morris, Austin ect from the UK.
Ask Allan C, he had them on his old 23 Hudson that got burnt (I think)

PS Sorry I missed lights on the hill (prior commitments) but the WK 40 looked nice in the photos Greasy John put up.
See you next time I am up there !(if you aren't doing circles)