• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Identity and info sought on this engine

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
This engine was at the Junction Rally (Wentworth, NSW) today and the owner would like to have it identified.

Apart from a "S" cast into the bottom of the engine, there are no numbers or markings anywhere on the engine to help with its true identity. :bonk:
So far he has been told it is a De Dion, a Deutscher, an Illman and a Lewis. :shrug:
Can anyone please correctly identify this engine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes, jayvee :wave:

Attachments

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Re: Identity and info souught on this engine

That 'S' symbol on the crankcase is very much like the French Sarolea symbol. They made motorcycles and proprietary engines for other motorcycles.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017

I've since found out that Sarolea was actually a Belgian company (I thought they were French, for some reason). I found this photo of a 1905 v-twin, which matches the 'S' on the crankcase pretty well. A lot of car makers around this time were making car engines well as motorcycle engines; Peugeot, FN, Minerva, Aster. In the UK, Riley, Humber, Singer, Rover, etc. So, I still think it's a possibility.

Attachments

jayvee

Registered

Hi All,
This engine was purchased by a collector in Queensland at the recent National Rally.
Investigations has led to the engine being identified as a Sarolea from Belgium. Dated around 1907.
Puzzle solved.

Thought I'd let you know.

jayvee :wave:

cobbadog

Registered
Rudy searched high and low for an answer on this one and even the Dutch people had to search for an answer as it was a rare one for being in their country never mind over here.