If Harry

Craig A

got paid by the hour for the time he spends here AND the money he spends on hardware, upgrades, servers, memory, firewalls, TECH SUPPORT :eek: and everything else, MY guess is he'd be making about 2 cents an hour....:(
That's not to say this site is about getting rich............but I'm sure you get my drift...............;)

How about considering subscribing?................:brows:

http://www.smokstak.com/faq_smok.htm#subscriber

(NOT a paid political announcement)

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Hey Craig,
I just took a look in my User Control Panel, and I didn't see any button to verify when my subscription runs out. Other forum's I've been on with similar software have a "paid subscription" button that shows the dates your subscription is valid.

I'd gladly renew my subscription here whenever it's due... but when is it due? Does this forum software send a "renew now" notification?

Thanks to you and Harry!!

Craig A

Brad.........you aren't the first one to ask that question.
The fact is, the BOOKS are kept by Jeannie, aka MR'S Harry, and they don't BUG people about their subscriber status.......
I guess it boils down to when YOU think it's time...............it's time..............:crazy:
The whole subscriber thing is, pretty much, an honor system.
That's not to say that they don't keep records or CAN'T tell you..........they just don't BUG people about it...........and that's pretty cool..............:cool:

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Brad.........you aren't the first one to ask that question.
The fact is, the BOOKS are kept by Jeannie, aka MR'S Harry, and they don't BUG people about their subscriber status.......
I guess it boils down to when YOU think it's time...............it's time..............:crazy:
The whole subscriber thing is, pretty much, an honor system.
That's not to say that they don't keep records or CAN'T tell you..........they just don't BUG people about it...........and that's pretty cool..............:cool:
That's very cool indeed! I found the payment on my Paypal history, so I guess I'll use that for the date. Looks like I have until mid July.

Thanks!

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
I renew my subscription on (or near) my birthday. Not the most scientific method, but my thinking is that I am giving myself a 'gift' that I enjoy all year long.
Thanks Harry. Keep up the great work!

Michael Kittel

Subscriber
To Harry

Harry, Received my pin! Thank You very much! I plan on wearing it to all the swaps and shows I go to. Again Thank You ! Ditto on this great site!

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
i just reuped my sub for 3 years .i think this is such a bargin.just think harry's site is open 24/7 all year.for a reasonable price of a asking $20.00 a year.that sure beats the price of gem dev. 6 times a year?? i am so thankfull i found harry's site.an it keeps on getting beter every year with the upgrades.thank you harry ,their are thousand of people who thank you every day for inventing this site that all of us use and enjoy every day-chuck

Tanner Remillard

Subscriber
Im due to fork out some myself. Its been at least a year for me. Cant remember:uhoh: As I have said before, I get FAR more information off of this site then any magazine ever did. I just got my latest Steam Traction the other day and about $&*% a brick because it changed to quarterly for $38 same thickness of magazine as the bi monthly. Im sorry, but screw that. Smokstak all the way :)

Tom Brach

Thanks for bringing this issue front and center. Without thinking about it, I have been using Smokstak, the expertise of everyone, the wealth of the archives and even throwing in an experience or two. The $20 a year donation is probably the best bargain going and it turns out I wasn't a subscriber (I am now). Probably would not have thought about it if you guys hadn't brought it up.

And Harry, this is a well run, logically laid out and efficient site. Many thanks for your efforts.

And for those of you who use the site and are not subscribers, think about the cost of your coffee habit (or whatever) compared to how much you use the site. The Smokstak $20 is a bargain and won't rattle your nerves.

Tom Brach
New member, British Columbia

Beth V

Craig!

As ususal, you are on the ball...has Harry given you a RAISE yet?!:eek:

I sent mine & a friends in last summer (he has to pay his own this time) and find it well worth it!

In addition to all of the phenomenal pictures and information, the chat rooms are CHEAP therapy! What a deal!

Is it acceptable to pay ahead?....Harry's is a much better deal than the magazines & it includes instant gratification!

Beth

Steve Barr

My sponsor card expires every Feb. Harry sends out an invoice as a reminder. I pay that amount and then some. When I sell several items on the classified pages, I send additional.

THANKS HARRY !!!!!! (and Yes, I was YELLING THAT) !!!!!

Craig A

A few additional words are necessary here.
When I, or anyone else, starts a thread like this it IS to help support the site.
That said, these "appeals" are NEVER meant to seem like an extortion attempt or make anyone feel bad because they can't afford to subscribe.

There is a great number of youngsters, students AND oldsters here who, for one reason or another, just can't afford to subscribe.
I know that Harry would not want anyone to feel any LESS welcome here because their name isn't green.

Speaking strictly for myself now, I know that feeling as there have been times when I couldn't afford to "cough up" either. :(
Can't say it stopped me from using the site though.....................:rolleyes:

I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about THINGS..........;)