IH U-1 Power Unit

Andy Williams

my uncle gave me a U-1 IH power unit about 10 years ago. it was originally on a small crane/lift where he worked, the crane was scrapped so he came home with the engine. it had sat out and the block was ruined from freezing so i just let it sit. a few weeks ago i found another one at an auction. it was slightly different and stripped but had all i needed to fix the one i had. mine has a rockford clutch with a hand lever on it. it is an IH cub engine with a farmall A radiator, grill and hood on it. looks to be made in the early 50s it has a small gauge panel on the side. all i need now is a few control rods which i can make and also a tall stack cub air cleaner. it looks like it had louvered side panels on it when new (it has slots in the hood side edges) . also one has an i-h mag and the other a f-m mag. I think i was lucky to run across two of them. I needed it for a grist mill i have . any idea of how many of these engines were made, are they rare

MCanady

Subscriber
Re: ih u-1 power unit

I see them from time to time. I don't consider them rare - just not common. Neat item to own and display.Merton

Andy Williams

i got it mostly together, it made a nice unit i still need to hook up the gauge panel need to make a spacer so it will clear everything. For the applications they were made originally one had an attached gas tank and no gauge panel when new, the other had gauges attached and no gas tank. so i have to make it all fit. it's rusty and not too pretty but will suit my purpose.

Andy Williams

update, I just got the right air cleaner for it, now i have it all. i saw another one sitting out in a guy's pasture last fall it was very rough and on some kind of frame. now i wish i had a better grill for it but i'll run across one. hope i get it running this summer.

William Terry

Subscriber
So you Have A JD LUC Unit. Maybe you can help. I am trying to rebuild one. Do you know ware I can get oversize pistons and rings or are the even available?? I will need gaskets valves and a valve guide or two. Any help is appreciated. Thanks WRT

ulgydog56

the jd luc engine is the same as a john deere la tractor engine, parts on ebay, and other sights and even john deere, should not be to tuff, 76 ci motor and stock bore and stroke is 3.75 x 4.00...:D

William Terry

Subscriber
Yes There are parts available on e-bay. But so far I have not found what I need. I am Waiting for a return call from ERB Equip. That is our local JD dealer, at least for heavy construction equip. Hope they have it or can direct me to some one who does. Thanks and keep an eye and ear out for parts I mentioned. Thank you. WRT

mmcdonald

Subscriber
oversize pistons are going to be hard. You can sleeve block and put in new std rings. If your pistons are bad you'll probably have to find used right now. One of the manufacturers we deal with is supposed to have them available later this year but who knows if or when it will be exactly. Valves and seats are easy. Probably can get a valve guide. You might call Steve Ridenour. I know he's got a complete gasket set and might have or know about pistons if there are any left. He's semi retired but still going as of a month or two ago. 513-988-0390