• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

IHC Dating Guide

Dazzla

Registered
Over here in England I've got a lovely 4hp vertical Famous, sn DA23595. I've done a fair bit of trawling trying to find a dating guide that would help tell me when it was built but have yet to succeed, so can any of you guys help or steer me in the right direction ?

Cheers

Dazzla

Attachments

JimS

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2020
Hello mate! Spent two years @ lovely RAF Chicksands, near Bedford in 1973-75.

Wendel's notebook doesn't list a 4 hp upright, but I would suggest it may have changed for export. Measure your flywheels for us, as it's either a 2hp or a 3hp. No "DA" listing, but the serial number "could" be a 2hp from 1911, or a 3hp from 1914. Looks like our 3hp to me. I have a 2hp. :wave: from us Yanks - JimS

Joseph Cissell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2017
I agree with JimS. I think your engine is a 1914, just overated to sell over seas. I have a 3HP that looks like your engine. It is on a 2, 2 1/2, or 3hp IHC cart. Can you send us the flywheel part number and the part number of something else, but not the carb. Thanks, Joe

S.Simons

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/04/2010
I work with a bloody chap from Manchester, his name is Andy Hopkins. He came over here to the U.S. not to collect engines but to aquire a wife. I suppose I just derailed this thread :bonk:

Fred Schultz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I have a vertical S/C with a flat bar mag that came from the
UK. It is tagged 4 HP. Serial No. LA 21852 which indicates
the year 1913 under the 3 HP numbers.

KenK

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2011
Hi, I too would think it to be a 3 horse in the United States. Any chance the "D" might be an "L"? If so, that would then make your engine a 1914. The only "DA" prefix shown is for a 6 h.p. or 15 h.p. horizontal engine, and neither with 5 didget numbers. Really a beauty!!! And, a gear driven rotary mag!!! VERY NICE INDEED!!! Hope this helps some. Ken

KenK

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2011
:)Or isthe mag friction drive off the flywheel? Can't tell for sure! Ken

Dazzla

Registered
Thanks for the help guys.

The serial number definitely starts with DA, and "4hp" is cast into the crankcase inspection cover. The mag is gear driven, and the previous owner (who well into his 70's when we bought it back in the early 1980's) told us that the mag had been changed before he bought it, some 40 years previously.

I'll check the flyhweel diameter and get a part number. Any idea what the dimensions should be for a 3hp model ?

Dazzla