• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

IHC Famous? Hp? Year?

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
What can you guys tell me about this? A friend saw it forsale but didn’t ask priceor details. If you can fill me in on any notable details from the pic would be great. It looks like a lawn ornament so it’s probably seized/frozen and cracked, but it looks fairly complete. Thoughts on what it’s worth? I’m leaning towards scrap price but he may think he’s got gold:shrug: I may go have a look when I finish these next few weeks working away.

Attachments

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
What can you guys tell me about this? A friend saw it forsale but didn’t ask priceor details. If you can fill me in on any notable details from the pic would be great. It looks like a lawn ornament so it’s probably seized/frozen and cracked, but it looks fairly complete. Thoughts on what it’s worth? I’m leaning towards scrap price but he may think he’s got gold:shrug: I may go have a look when I finish these next few weeks working away.
What size is it? The larger the better. Its probably worth at least 10 times the price of scrap iron. It won't be there long at the price of scrap iron. If it was me I would be looking it over like NOW!!!
Denis Rouleau

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Thanks Denis, I would be going to look right away but I’m floating around the Great Lakes for another few weeks. I’m trying to get contact info but haven’t heard back from my friend yet. I was hoping you guys could tell me what size:O looks around 3hp?

Scott Kocher

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2021
that's a 4 hp famous. if you get the serial number we can tell you hat year it is . great running engines you better get if you can it looks complete from what I see minus a little pluming for the gas . it looks like the pulley on the fare side is at least 16" that's a plus

Travis McCoy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/07/2017
Get it man get it! I've got a TG 4hp Famous and it is just too cool in my book. You'll enjoy working on it and many parts can be found for them.

-Travis

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Wow, Another 4HP Famous lawn ornament that even looks like they used the same house paint as mine has!. Mine was near the West coast so I guess there's only one per coast?, get it bought before someone else does;). If you get it let me know as I maybe able to help to complete it.
Nathan.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll be trying to get in touch with the owner ASAP. I agree it’s worth more than scrap but it’s likely far from being a runner without major repairs... I’ll keep you guys posted other than a phone call I can’t see it personally till the end of the month. Might send my friend to buy it though.

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi AngrySailor,

It’s hit miss governed -Looks like it is missing the fuel pump as well . I’d pay 300 for it without hesitation !!! It’s worth the effort any day.

I have a few 4hp famous engines out here in oz and they are good runners. My hopper cooled throttler was far worse than that and I’ve found all original parts to fix it except the choke lever. It takes time but is part of the fun !!! Thanks for sharing your find with us

Cheers Justin

Gasengin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2019
Don't mess around "wheeling and dealing," just BUY IT!!! $300 is stupid low. Jump on the deal. Plus anyone on here that may know about that engine is now running over there right now willing to pay 2-3 times or more that amount.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Looks like she’s mine, just talked to my friend. He fishes with the owner and said he would hold it for me. Just arranging payment and pick up now. I’ll be sure to tell them not to lift by the flywheels!

I’m interested to see what shape she’s in crack/break wise. That vertical exhaust has surely filled her with water and froze many times over the years. I’m fairly well equipped at my shop with machining capabilities but I’m sure I’ll have many questions once I get my hands on her!

Any information on the famous models would be great. I’ve been around power shows/old tractors since I was a kid but bought my first stationary engine maybe two years ago so I’m playing catch up on the finer points of different models!

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi AngrySailor,

If the inner tube in the muffler is intact the water may not have run into it? Let’s hope.

The Tag is missing by the looks ? You will find the serial number stamped on both the head and cylinder in front of the hopper.

Keep us posted, cheers Justin

Scott Kocher

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2021
:wave: mine is a victor model the tag is on the opposite side I call that the dummy side :bonk: no working parts on that side maybe it is on that side :shrug:

Inter Bloke

Registered
What magneto did these use?
They used a Webster tri polar low tension magneto and base as an option on almost all the IHC line which would be period for your 4HP, but yours still has its original low tension igniter which when new was fired by dry cell battery's and used a low tension "Thordason" coil. I have a 4 HP Victor which runs fine on the same system yours has so I wouldn't be scared of just resurrecting the original system as fitted !

The others are right, the numbers to identifie year are stamped into the head and block on the top mating surface visible looking straight down. As for age, with hit and miss governing early style main lubrication, later type decompressor, battery igniter firing and raised lettering on the hopper I recon it will date from about 1911 or 12 but it could be a couple of years either side.

A good buy at two or even three times what you paid for it and a really top project that shouldn't be too difficult to complete !

Goodluck

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Interesting... How were the original batteries kept charged? Early 1900’s not everyone had electricity or a battery charger:shrug: I have a 1917 Fairbanks Z igniter engine which is missing it’s original mag but runs nicely on a battery and low tension coil so I am familiar with this set up.

I sure hope the tag is on the other side! Would be nice to have. I will get the serial numbers if my friend can find them under the lawn ornament paint or I’m sure they will turn up when I get to start cleaning her up.

How is the liner built into these? Is it removable like the M, with o-rings? Or cast as part of the block? If the piston is real stuck I bet a pound of tannerite would push it out the back:uhoh::bonk: (I’ll have to find the video of someone blowing one to pieces with tnt trying to remove a piston):D

Inter Bloke

Registered
Interesting... How were the original batteries kept charged? Early 1900’s not everyone had electricity or a battery charger:shrug:
The battery's were just dry cell disposable battery's similar and possibly the same as those used in telephones of the same era which when flat were simply replaced. When I got my Victor there was a pile of discarded and decomposing battery's about 18 inches high right next to the engine where the owner had just chucked them when they were flat. There was an option on the tank cooled models that allowed the fitting of a hot tube ignition on a boss on top of the cylinder at the factory during assembly so that if an engine went to a remote area, say Alaska, Texas, Arizona, or maybe Australia there was a backup ignition if battery's were unprocurable because of distance but very few buyers took advantage and it was discontinued about 1910 by which time the very expensive magneto options had dropped in cost to something affordable and were becoming mainstream. The hopper cooled version like yours never had the option because the hopper is where the hot tube needed to be.

Sorry, I haven't ever had either of my cylinders apart but I suspect they are a solid casting that doesn't have a removable liner, but hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can give you a definite answer.

Goodluck with it,
Graham in OZ

Scott Kocher

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2021
sailor to the best of my knowledge the cylinders are cast right into the hopper as one unit . they are not removable like the m model . as far as keeping the battery's charged they did have what they called a spark saver witch mounted on the side of the cylinder block to help prolong the life of the battery's if you could afford it they also had the option for a auto sparker generator set up which ran off the fly wheels . I have a picture of a spark saver but must find it . I will post it later

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi All,

From my experience I’ve never seen a vertical or horizontal famous ( titan/victor) with a removeable sleeve. I wish they were ........

A while ago I swapped a John deeee D radiator for a 4hp hit miss tank cooled top end . When I got home and soaked it in penetrine out slipped a new .020” oversized piston and rings. The bore is honed perfectly and has never been run. Somewhere there is a 4hp hit miss screen cooled missing from the rod to the rocker arm !!!! One of lifes mysteries I guess.

Did Victor engines have the standard muffler or a remote “Pot” ?? Or both ?

Thanks Justin