• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

IHC LA engine and generator?

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Guys -

I have an IHC LA 1-1/2 2-1/2 hp engine at home. Wondering if anyone has ever set one up to run a generator? Could either be a 12 volt, or find a small 110v generator some place. Thinking of around 5-600 watts.

Want to put only a couple lights in the sawmill operation on our show grounds, and wondering if this engine might be up to the task ?

What are your thoughts, or experiences ?

Thanks !

Pete

Bob Naske

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2015
Re: IHC LA engine & a generator ? ? ?

I have a 2hp Cushman Cub that I belted to a small 110v AC generator- all on the same trucks- that works good to power small stuff. It is a T/Gov engine like your LA so it can be done to answer your question. I could take some pics soon, but if you have some Gas Eng Magazines look thru probably about 2006 as they published my article about making it.Just have to figure your pulley sizes correctly so proper output is obtained at proper generator speed!!!!

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016
Re: IHC LA engine & a generator ? ? ?

Guys -

I have an IHC LA 1-1/2 2-1/2 hp engine at home. Wondering if anyone has ever set one up to run a generator? Could either be a 12 volt, or find a small 110v generator some place. Thinking of around 5-600 watts.

Want to put only a couple lights in the sawmill operation on our show grounds, and wondering if this engine might be up to the task ?

What are your thoughts, or experiences ?

Thanks !

Pete
Pete

Why not use a 12V gen. off of a car or truck ?? You can buy 12V light bulbs just like you have in the house. You could even hook up a voltage reg. and charge a battery at the same time. Run the lights off of the battery until they become dim and then start the engine to re-charge the battery.

I have done that with a 3 and 5 HP Briggs and it worked great.

Jim

S

speleausmining

I was thinking of doing something like that with one of my engines. From my experiance building a pelton wheel generator I agree a truck alternator is the cheapest simplest way to do it unless of course you have a generator kicking around. The other option would be to look around a farm auctions for a generator with a bad engine these usually go cheap then remove the generator part and your set. If you really want 110V AC get a cheap automotive inverter and camouflage it in a jointed wood box or some such.