• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

IHC LA/LB value and parts needed.

pasbonbasile

Registered
I found two engines locally and thinking about getting them, both are IHC, one is LA and the other is LB. Both are missing complete mags ond the LB is missing the gas tank too. Both are stuck but dont think stuck hard as he used to turn them and oil them. I am new to this and dont know the values of the engines or how hard and expensive parts are. If some of you knowlegeable people here can help a newbie out it would be appreciated. He also had a Wade drag saw (runs if put a buzz coil on it) if I could find a value for that It would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing your knowleged.. email is mwstock59@yahoo.com.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Before trying to free the engines, make sure the valves are free or better yet, the heads are removed and that the cam turns. The cam gears are fragile and can break if the engine is turned and the cam or valves are stuck. H&M Enterprises (a stak sponsor) may have the items you need - call and ask, as Ed had stuff for sale that is not listed on his parts list. BE AWARE that mags are not cheap, and that H&M ships slowly. it may take a while to get your parts.

Lonnie Grissom

Registered
You did not say what size the engines are. I live n Alabama both mags go for $ 150.00 and up. New repo gas tank close to. $100.00. My advice is to attend some shows. Some times you get lucky and find parts cheaper at them.

Preston Wells

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Also remember that you can find LAs and LBs running for $250-$450 if you look at shows. If they have the valve cover and hopper cover a little more.

pasbonbasile

Registered
Sorry about that, they are the 1 1/2- 2 1/2 engines.

---------- Post added at 11:43:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40:18 AM ----------

I have looked in the show section and see no shows anywhere near Louisiana. If there are some can someone enllighten me? Thanks.

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
They are very common engines. I have never paid more than $150 for a complete one. The two you describe I would not pay more than $50 a piece.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Repair parts are readily available but the parts individually are worth much more than an assembled and running engine. Some parts prices I've seen...
Mag - $150
Rocker arm - $25
Gas tank - $100
Valve cover - $100
Valve cover wing nut - $50
Hopper cover - $50

Lonnie Grissom

Registered
Order a show directory from gas engine magazine it will have shows and dates listed. I see several people at shows in Mississippi and Alabama that live in Louisiana . The directory is being published now will be mailed out in March
My brother and I have bought several of these small lbs at these shows. Friday is the best day to look for engines and parts.