• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

IHC playing in the snow

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Here are a couple of pictures of my 1912 Model AA International Autowagon. This weekend we had a little snow so I installed the snow tires, aka, wrapped rope around the back wheels. This was a common practice back when these trucks were used everyday. OK, I know :crazy:, but if you have toys, you have to play with them once and a while :D, even during a Minnesota :eek: winter.

Attachments

half-fast

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2014
I had to say more than just thanks. I don't often jump into these threads and I don't often use the last word in this post but those two little pictures touched me. WOWWW! that is fantastic.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Roger,
It's good to see the old girl up and running again. Thanks for posting the winter fun pictures. She should go through two feet of snow with very little effort. Are those radial or bias chains?
Gary:O

Eric M.

Registered
Looks to me like they're radials Gary, I don't think bias-plies would stay on very easily.

I've got a soft spot like a mushy apple for IHC Autowagons. They are just too neat :D

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
I'm not sure. . . they are three ply, 1/2 inch, natural hemp. . .they are wound around the wheel so I guess that makes them radials. :shrug:

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Better Watch where you Drive Roger.... You know what happens when you get that Auto Wagon Too Close to Steam Engines.... :eek:

But with some Snow handy you shouldn't have much trouble putting the fire out....:)

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
You're right Ken, but heated seats would feel pretty good this time of year.:O One thing for sure, the next time I'm chasing you on your fire breathing Case, I'll make sure to be up wind! I laugh about it now when I think about Bud and the boys hollering "FIRE". I figured they saw the grass on fire, I didn't know that they meant we :eek: were on fire.

To fill in the rest of you, a few years ago I was at Ken's Thrashing day with the Highwheeler. An old friend of ours said he'd like to hear Ken's Case when it was plowing. I got him and his nephews loaded in the Autowagon and followed near Ken as he plowed. Of course his engine sounded great and everything was fine as we headed down the field. On the return trip back, the wind was blowing over the Case and it through a hot cinder into the rear of the Highwheeler which started the back seat smoldering. As soon as we figured out the situation, I grabbed the fire extinguisher I carry, and put out the fire. The back seat has never been the same since.

Last edited:

Chief74

Registered
Very nice! I was always told that my Minnesota relatives were pretty hardy! The closest thing I've seen around here is an older gent with an early '20's Dodge touring car- He takes it out year 'round.

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Just to show that the IHC Highwheeler was doing some useful work at Ken's show before his Case gave it a hot seat ;), here is a shot from earlier in the day. I was hauling slab wood for Ted Knack's 80HP Case when he was thrashing. At least I was up-wind from this Case! :brows:

Attachments

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
IHC trucks and Case steam engines sure go together well, don't they Roger & Ken! I have to "suffer" through with my Model TT as a support vehicle with my Case engine. I am envious but not jealous, my friend!

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Ken,
I really "stepped in it" with our mutual friend, regarding the incomparable Model TT.:faint: They really aren't something bad to be stuck with, are they!?!?

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Well.... The TT's do make a Pretty Good Support Vehicle.... I geuss where I have a Lot of Fun with Mine is watching Other people try to drive it...:bonk: If.... They can figure out that the Starter Button is Out Front.... Ya some people get into it then come and say.... That Truck Won't Start....

I remember one Fairly Talented Guy that tried to make it back up... He put that Warford in every gear he could find and Finally had to get help to get out of the corner he was in.... Most "Modern" People Don't have a Clue what that Middle Pedal is for....

Don't Worry.... Roger is Right at Home with T's Too...

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Don't Worry.... Roger is Right at Home with T's Too...
Ken,
I'd trade MY Model Ts to Roger for HIS Model Ts anyday! And mine have 54 (2nd owner) and 55 years ownership history with me.

I hear you about letting others drive them... What is that middle pedal for??? The "self-commencer" out front is really misunderstood by many.
Gary:brows:

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
Where Gary got himself in trouble :kick: was criticizing the Model T or TT in his case. He knows my fondness for the Ford Model T. I just couldn't let his comment stand, so he caught hell:mad: in an E-mail from me. Those who know us, know we are full of:bs:sometimes, but we both take the little Fords very seriously.

Below is a photo of Ken's great original wood cab:D Model TT truck that he uses to haul slabs for his engines. The Autowagon was just giving it a little break for a while that day.

Attachments

Last edited:
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Speak for yourself Roger. You may be full, but I'm a couple of quarts low.:faint: :shrug:

I sat around in fear all day that you'd take me up on that trade and I didn't know how I was going to get out of it!:bs:

Ken, aren't you afraid you might scratch that TT truck using it like that?:O

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Hey... The Last Owner Painted it with a Broom... It has Runs Just like Original... Scratching is a Non Issue.... Notice she's got a Pretty Good Load too...:D Trailer Queens Don't Live here....

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Ken,
Your comments are well taken. You'll notice the "whistling face" I posted behind my signature. I've never had that big of a load on my TT, as the last time I had it out, it still had an 80 year old tire and tube on the left rear and an old weather checked "slick" Dad put on the right rear circa 1956. About a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet and ordered new rear tires replacing the old 30X5" tires. (I could have put a new set of Michelin tires on all four wheels of my 3/4 ton Chevy 4X4 for le$$.) We didn't have a show that fall and I wasn't able to attend this year due to my son being home from Afghanistan. But if and when my TT goes again, I'll try out those new tires. Actually, it is very full of heavy "stuff" now, in my shop, as the box is paying its way for taking up "that much" space. My Model T Coupe looks pretty good driving by at 35 mph, but it is a driver as well as my TT. I can't imagine owning a Model T that I was only able to haul, dust and polish? The "fun" is in keeping them running well and driving them. After all, that's what Henry built them for! The two 1955 pictures show that I've been loyal to them for a little while too. Gary:brows:

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I know Roger has a lot of loyalty to the Model T and TT Fords. However, I'm the one who likely threw this thread off of the tracks, so I'll attempt to "re-rail" it again. This is a picture Roger sent me a while back of an air cooled IHC Highwheeler Autowagon with a delivery body and accesory windshield attached. Notice this one has radial tires in the snow as well. It is a picture from the Wisconsin Historical Society's IHC collection. Gary;)

Attachments

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
OK, Gary wants to re-rail this thread:) here are some more IHC Autowagon photos. About thirty years ago, I rebuilt the engines on two International Highwheelers, a 1909 and a 1911, for two different owners in Southern Minnesota. I had both of them in the shop at the same time. One of the engines was just worn needing a rebuild and the other one had a blown engine with the crankcase in about a dozen pieces. A used crankcase was located for that engine in southwest Iowa and the rebuilding started on both engines. Parts were machined or rebuilt as necessary. The engines and transmissions were run-in to make sure everything was OK and of course I learned a lot about their design during the restoration process. You can see that snow was on the ground by the time they were finished and I had to install "radial";) snow tires on them too. The little guy riding with me is my son Andy. I don't know if he thought it was as big a deal as his old man did, to be driving around in an Autowagon in January:eek: Since that time, I have worked on nine more :D one and two cylinder cars and trucks. As far as I'm concerned, the International Autowagon is one of the best when it comes to design, reliability, quality of castings, the steel used in construction, and the durability of components. There is a reason that more of them still survived than any of the other makes and why they have the great reputation they do.

Attachments