• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

IHC playing in the snow

B. K. Lahey

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/03/2012
Forgive my ignorance, but where does the right hand drive come from??:shrug:

BK

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
To answer your question, in the USA during the early 1900's, most car makers put the steering on the right-hand side. I has been said that it started that way because the first cars imported into this country had the steering on the right so builders just copied that style. One other suggestion is the fact that the engineers position on a railroad locomotive is on the right side and that it was copied from that.:shrug: Even Ford's first cars had the controls on the right side. That changed when the Model T came out in 1908 and over the next 6 years, all the car makers moved the steering to the left side of the car. I seems clear cut to us today that if you drive on the right-hand side of the road, you would have many advantages if the controls are put on the left. Maybe in the days when the roads were just one lane dirt paths, it wasn't so obvious.

Last edited:

Bob Ronning

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2015
we had 19 IHC autowagons and 1 autobuggy at penfield IL. when they had the red power round up there. I am working on my 1909 autobuggy and hope to have it out in 2010.

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Bump..because it is fun.....watch those fire breathing Cases....:O

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
Thanks for all the pictures and history, really interesting. As for the right hand drive, a team is driven from that position also.