• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Induction motor with flat belt pulley?

dragon

Registered
Hi, Were these motors used on line shafts or did they have other applications?
It is GE 3 hp, 110v, single phase and very heavy. Thanks.

Attachments

BobRR

Registered
Re: Induction motor with flat belt pulley??

I remember seeing a very old factory built air compressor that had a electric motor using a flat belt to drive it. I believe it was original. BobRR

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019

Those motors were used on everthing...they replaced the overhead line shafts. Typically you would see one bolted in place next to a saw, planer, lathe, drill press etc and the original lineshaft woud still be in the ceiling, with belts disconnected, gathering dust because too much labor would be involved to take it down. I thought those motors would be around forever, but they have now pretty much disappeared. Every now and then you can still find one hooked up tho its wall-mounted starter or compensator.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

In the system that I acquired, the engine and generator was located outside in a power house and back inside the machine shop, this motor powered the line shaft for lathes, mills, drill press and grinders.

See this link for the full system: http://old-engine.com/fm15ge.htm

dragon

Registered

Thank you for the great information. I don't know what I'm going to do with this motor, but it nice to know some history about its use. Thanks.

Old motor Kid

Registered

Hi, Dragon
I was wondering if you still have the motor that's in this post^.
If you do, and don't have a use for it, I am getting in to collecting antique electric motors and have a few. One of them is just like this one (General electric Induction motor type KT), but mine is only a 1 horse and 3 phase 220v. Would you consider selling it, I would be interested in buying it to expand my collection, and this one would be the big brother of my other GE motor.
Sincerely,
Ron

davehall44

Registered

Hello Ron,
I also have a GE KT 3 phase 1 HP motor, I'm cleaning it up for use. I see that the 2 plain bearings for the rotor are each lubricated with brass oil rings dipping in oil baths. On the non shaft side, the outer end of the bearing looks like it seized a little, will ream it another .001" I checked on the motor and on the net for an oil grade - you don't happen to know it thanks? I'm thinking it needs to be a lighter viscosity after doing a calc. from the net. regards, Dave

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

In non-scientific experimenting with one of my Century motors, I found that the lighter the oil, the less the friction. The limiting factor became the oil ring spinning too fast, slinging the oil out. That was with the sumps filled with WD-40 while I was cleaning it. It had extremely low friction, far less than ball bearings.