• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Info needed about the Monitor VJ Stationary Engine

princesssunny7

Registered
I have acquired an amazing engine that I am getting ready to list on ebay and needed some information about it from some of you experts! It's a Baker Manufacturing (says on the metal plate attached to the engine) Monitor VJ 1 1/4 HP Speed 500. It has a No. 24708, how do I find out how old this is and what it was used for. It looks amazing like it was used in shows, it's mounted on old axle and wheels from a mining car (cast iron). I would appreciate anything you know about this engine. Thanks so much. ;)

Attachments

Rod Pletan

Registered
I have one also. I believe Monitor was a windmill company and it appears that they had an engine made to mount on thier pump mechanizm as a backup if there was no wind.

cliffklenke

Registered
I also have a monitor VJ (Vertical Junoir). This is a pump jack engine made by Baker manufacturing in Evansville, Wisconsin about 1/2 hour southeast of Madison.Horsepower is 1 and 1/4. Very nice running engines.

Sam Hamilton

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/15/2012
All the other replys are correct. These are fairly common, but old true hit and miss engines. They usually are easy to start using the crank built into the flywheel, run well and are fun to watch. I did mine is solid gray but sometimes they might have been red. The red and gray is fine. There would be a battery and buzz coil (Model T Ford coil) in the wooden box to provide a spark to the spark plug. It is easy to slowly crank it through a running cycle to see when it is sparking so as to be sure that it is safe to crank. An out of time engine can kick back and injure the cranker, but the Monitor's handle will safely pop back into the flywheel.

Brian.P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/27/2015
these are a nice running engine i have one and will run all day pumping from the pail
have a other engine with a brass tag it's a little older than the one i run now
thinking of making the mud pump set up i have a mud pump in the shed that looks like the one in the picture

Attachments

cheddarhead

Registered
This is off subject but, i have a Monitor and it has a Wico EK mag on it instead of a battery. AND its casted to have it to and everything else. Any idea what thats about?

Last Subscription Date
10/02/2010
The EK was an option on the later engines. Nearly all the earlier ones sold in the USA were battery ignition while 99% of the ones exported were fitted with magnetos. Mine is fitted with a Dixie (as are most of the ones I have seen with original rotary magnetos). A few of the later Wico ones made it over here to Oz as well.

Christo

Registered
I have a monitor engine no85393 it is a VJ I think I can restore dixie .I would like to know where to get a muffler or the design of it .your phone no would help. thanking u anton Sarina QLD

Gus0513

Registered
Looking for information on a 1913 Vj monitor. Just picked it up, it has no place that I can see to oil piston, and no grease cops for bearings.. anyone help me out?

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Gus if you open up the side cover on the crankcase I think you'll see there's a Littlefinger or Dipper attached to the connecting rod bolts and that's made to Splash oil around just like a Briggs lawn mower engine. So the oil levels in the crankcase should be such that the Dipper well on running. If I recall correctly they did not have a dripper on the side for the Piston because that all.got Oil from the splashing.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Yes, it is splash lubricated. Too much oil in the crankcase, over about 1 1/4" depth, will make things real messy. Excess oil will be splashed/spilled out the crankshaft bearings. Check out the Facebook Group "Monitor gas engines and baker mfg", (not sure if this link will take you to that group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/389755754714535/?ref=group_header, you are welcome to try it). Check in its files area for many documents on lubrication, manuals and settings.