Ingersoll Rand Compressor Petrol Start Diesel

BHoward

Subscriber
Re: Ingersoll Rand compressor petrol start diesel

I saw one those here in Canada once and I thought it was made by Ingersall Rand. It,s not anything like International.

rustexpert

I thought it was made by Ingersall Rand. It,s not anything like International.
Isn't that what I said.
I.R. usually seemed to use bought in engines. This side of the Atlantic petrol start diesels are very uncommon and I.H. are about all we would see and one or two Hessleman system Allis crawlers.

I have seen the Waukesha Hesselman used by I-R over here but the medium compression, spark ignition, fuel injected Hesselman type was licensed by several in Europe also-Volvo being one. A-C being the only other I've seen advertised here in the US. I can't see much on the injection pump side to recognize, but somehow what I see doesn't look like my Waukesha pictures. The Hesselman type engines were Gasoline start using a hand pump priming into the inlet manifold, not a carburetor like I-H and Murphy and they were not compression ignition (Diesel) but used heavy fuel like Diesel.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
That looks like an IH Farmall F-12 gasoline engine to me. Once warmed up and running, it'd burn distillate fuels... kerosene... diesel... by spark ignition.

Wait... on second thought... it DOES look like one, but it's a cross-flow head (intake on one side, exhaust on the other). Governor throttle drive looks same, valve cover looks similar... that's interesting...

Mark Dieckmann

Sorry but that is not close to an F-12 engine. Mag is on the wrong side and there would be a fuel pump mount and governer on the left side of the block.

I think a man would work hard to get much work out of a NORMALLY equipped F 12 burning diesel fuel. I think the reason Rustex called this engine a diesel is finding it outfitted w/diesel type pump and injectors (barely visible on the 1st pic)--and we see a magneto and "sparking plugs" on the other side. In my understanding, this hardware would only be found on a Hesselman style engine. Who built it????

I can't read the lower word on the radiator top tank--it could give a indication which side of the pond it was built on. This sectional, bolted together type radiator pretty much disappeared over here around 1930, the American Bosch magneto would be late 30's until the end but may be a retrofit.
My guess for engine maker is Waukesha licensed from Hesselman.

rustexpert

It isn't mine. I don't have any more details. The story is it came over with Canadian military during WW2. Is the consensus that it is a Hessleman system, spark ignition "heavy oil" burner? so probably Waukesha as I.R. used their engines.

---------- Post added at 03:13:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10:30 PM ----------

I bet a Farmall F12 wouldn't run very well, if at all on diesel.
I have heard even a Fordson Standard N would run on diesel with a special vaporiser.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I bet a Farmall F12 wouldn't run very well, if at all on diesel.
According to Nebraska tests, it pulled 16.2hp on gasoline at 1.7gph... and 14.5hp on Kerosene at 1.5gph.

I wouldn't know if it'd run any different between Kerosene and #2 diesel, but my neighbor started his F12 on gasoline, and ran it on diesel all the time... because Kerosene was expensive, and for him, #2 diesel was substantially less. Most tractors prior to 1945 or so had 'tractor fuel' or 'distillate' as either a standard or optional feature. My '37 unstyled Allis WC has two tanks- a starting (gasoline) tank and a running (distillate) tank. It has shutters over the radiator to get the engine temp high enough to spark-ignite diesel. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the carbeurator (vaporizer) having anything special about it, aside from separate fuel source valves.

I took another look at the posted pictures, and it does look something like injector fittings, but the angle didn't really look like an injection pump. I see plumbing for the compressor unloader...

What I see, is intake on one side, looks like a governor shaft housing (like the Farmall) which would be connected to a throttle plate (on a carb)... and exhaust on the other, so cross-flow head, rocker cover (so OHV) and clearly a magneto... but no spark plugs... Anybody see anything I missed?

Oh- NOW I see it... to the left of the #1 exhaust port, I see the wire terminal, but no wire. The others must be obscured by gack.

For what it's worth, Ingersoll-Rand DID manufacture engines. Locomotive engines, big industrials... I would NOT be the least bit suprised if they built this... or even... but it on the block of some other engine, and just made their own conversion...

Jim Mackessy

Subscriber
Not an expert, but PT called me and asked me to look in the manual he sold me with the Waukesha-Hesselman generator he sold me. After some digging, we found a diagram that matches the enclosed governor linkage on the engine posted above. Can't be sure without better pictures, but it sure looks like the setup used on the VBKH and VBZH Wakesha-Hesselman engines. I'll try to get a scan up. - Jim Mackessy