• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

International 1 1/2 M

Randy Werner

Registered
I have just purchased this engine and on the name plate it reads kerosine gasoline. what does this mean? Will it run on both and how do you tell what kind of engine you have? Thanks

Tanner Remillard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
They were started on gasoline to heat up the engine, then switched to kerosene. They can be regularly run on gasoline.

Joe Morris

Registered
Randy, The engine is called a throttle governed engine. All I H C " M " series engines were throttled They made a straight gasoline model which only had one needle valve Kerosene models have three needle valves Facing the front of the engine the left valve is for starting / warming up the engine , The center one is to inject a little water into the mixer throat when burning kerosene to prevent knocking and premature fireing. The right one is used when the engine warms up and is switched to kerosene. It is much simpler to run the engine on gasoline. If you will send me the serial number and R P M from the tag I will tell you the year it was built. If it has a spark plug it will have a wico magneto it was built some time after late 1923 Any question feel free to E mail me. I hope this will help a little, Good luck in a good hobby. Joe Morris

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
joe. i have seen the gaso kero ihc ms with an ihc mag and sprkplg. what year are those?

Joe Morris

Registered
JBoogie said:
joe. i have seen the gaso kero ihc ms with an ihc mag and sprkplg. what year are those?
According to Wendels book the American Bosch High tension mags were used on the 3 h.p. between 1922 and 32 and perhaps? on the other three sizes as well. Joe

John Hammink

In Memory Of
Joe Morris said:
According to Wendels book the American Bosch High tension mags were used on the 3 h.p. between 1922 and 32 and perhaps? on the other three sizes as well. Joe
Joe, did you know that the last "M" engine that got an Am.Bosch was a six horse with serial # C35074 made in 1934? :cool: