• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

International Harvester Company of Canada

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
International boasted that this was the largest agricultural implement works in the British Empire! It was opened in about 1903. There was also the Oliver Chilled Plow Co. works in Hamilton and IHC took this over in 1918.
I am not sure what is left of Harvester, as everyone called it in Hamilton. Case built equipment in there after the take-over and I think there was another company making some sort of farm equipment.
They had their own railway and locomotives. I have pictures somewhere of a loco but wouldn't know where to find it. They made some crawler tractors in there at one time, lots of threshing machines, ploughs and other equipment.
Sawyer-Massey was just around the corner, and Studebaker. National Steel Car is still there, building railway cars.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
International boasted that this was the largest agricultural implement works in the British Empire! It was opened in about 1903. There was also the Oliver Chilled Plow Co. works in Hamilton and IHC took this over in 1918.
I am not sure what is left of Harvester, as everyone called it in Hamilton. Case built equipment in there after the take-over and I think there was another company making some sort of farm equipment.
They had their own railway and locomotives. I have pictures somewhere of a loco but wouldn't know where to find it. They made some crawler tractors in there at one time, lots of threshing machines, ploughs and other equipment.
Sawyer-Massey was just around the corner, and Studebaker. National Steel Car is still there, building railway cars.
Some T-5 and TD-5 Crawlers were buildt in Hamilton

Attachments

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Does anybody know more about their being a IH factory or warehouse at Thunder Bay Ontario?

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
The recent Ancaster Fall Fair featured IH number series tractors so there were several IH men there, including Larry Smith from O'Neil's Farm Equipment in Binbrook, a long time dealer.
Mr. Smith is co-author of a book called "A History & Memories Of International Harvester Canada 1903-1985. I finally got a copy from him.
I have not quite finished it but it has been a very good read. It gives the history if IH Canada's operations in Hamilton, Chatham, and across Canada. There is a section with stories from IH people. There are some very interesting stores from across the country- old dealers, etc.
We used to deal with O'Neil's quite a bit when we had land down in that area. They were first class people to deal with. Our closest IH dealer was Adam Young at Clappison's Corners. He called himself "Honest Adam." He was quite a character and flew his own plane, and also liked hard beverages - that is not a good combination. He had to ditch the plane in Lake Ontario at least once! However, he was a good guy and we got to be friends in later years. He put a lot of IH tractors and implements out into this community.
At any rate, it is a good book and they have a website. It can possibly be bought through O'Neil's also?
http://ihcanhistorymemoriesbook.ca/