internet engine purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Winland

I recently bought an engine off of ebay and contacted the seller before buying the engine and he asured me that only the push rod was missing, but when engine arived it was missing much more and he said that there was no b/c/w and it ended up having a weld right across the head. Question is what do you think I should do? I bought the engine out of Canada so it will cost to much to send back. Should I ask the seller to refund part of the money or just keep quiet. It just erks me that he lied about the condition of the engine.

Just venting in Ohio

Tom Winland

L

leonard keifer

I don't know if it will get any results but I'd contact the seller first. If he won't refund part of your money I think there is someone at ebay you can contact about seller fraud (misrepresenting items).

I've been farily fortunate with the engines I've bought on ebay (nothing larger than a Briggs FH). Both FHs ran without too much extra work.

Good luck getting some satisfaction.

D

Don C. Wiley

Tom;

I would e-mail him and try to get part of my money back. I would be nice about the whole thing, he might not know any thing about engines and it might have been a honest mistake. I would try to straighten it out via e-mail before leaving a nasty negative feed back. That's what e-bay recomends anyway.

I got a Delco-Light control panel and the cast iron base was broken in two places. I left a neutral feed back explaining that the item was poorly packaged, as well as sending the seller a e-mail explaining what the damage was. I didn't pay too much for it so I didn't try to get a refund.

Just my opinion.

"DELCO DON"

E

Ed Kinch

Hi Tom,

I would contact the seller and if you get no results then contact ebay.I would explain the problem and that you would rather not contact ebay but will if he does not mitigate damages.

Ed Kinch

Ted Brookover

In Memory Of
Tom, I suspect this will end up being a "Learning Experience" for you and the rest of us as well.

E-Bay is interested in the money that they collect from sellers and not much more, Did any of you know that E-Bay now allows Sellers to make their "Feedback" private ? That's right, you can leave negative feedback but all that will show up is the number of negatives, the seller can keep anyone from reading the feedback messages.

I have simply quit looking at E-Bay, there is simply too much room for shady dealing.

T

Tom Winland

Well, I got a response from the seller and he is playing dumb on this one. You would have to be blind not to have seen that it was welded and missing things. The pictures that I seen were conveniently taken so you couldn't see the problem area's and I know that he knows alittle about these engines because he has others of the same brand.

Guess I will chalk this up to a learning experience like Ted said and start looking for replacement parts. Anyone have any 3 HP JD E parts available?

Tom Winland Ohio

T

thomson Chris

Hi Tom ,sorry to hear about your misfortune .I purchased some fuller & johnson parts from you and I was very happy. The exchange rate freight and brokerage stinks but what are you going to do with a 90 yesr old engine. Fix it of course. Thanks for the service. Chris

T

Tom Winland

I hate to put someones name out like this but I don't want anyone else to get bit. His name is Patrick Mosset

Thanks for listening to me vent

Tom

T

Tom Winland

Hi Ted,

The engine is a 3 HP JD.

I need the push rod that trips the ignitor with everything on it.

The push rod that open the exhaust and the rocker arm.

I need the side cover. and the cover that goes on the back of the mag.

Thanks for everyone's help and listening to me vent. I will be at the Portland swap meet if anyone can help me out. Oh yeah, I guess while I'm looking for parts I might as well ask for a fuel pump for a 6 HP International M

Thanks Tom Winland Ohio

P

Paul Hokanson

Tom you can try Mitch Malcolm at lightnig Magneto fpr JD parts phone# 218-367-2819 I know he will have a complete rod and trip mechanism ater next weekend, because I'm trading a 3 hp set for a 1 1/2 set up from him at the swap meet in Le Suere.

Sorry to hear about your learning experiance on ebay, but ithink we have all experianced it at one time or another. Cheers Paul

J

jim king

hi tom!! sorry to hear about the crooked dealer!! we need harry to put a list of shame on the website so you can keep a list of people who crook people so everyone will quit making any purchases from them..i too thank you for your help on my engines!! excellent service..great guy!!

J

John Rolli

Tom,what I would do is take some digital camara pix of the areas you mentioned that are key.Then I would email them to him and try to work it out nice at first explaining the problems,replacement costs,etc.If he doesnt want to know a thing just leave a scathing feedback and go on your merry way.I agree with a "Hall of shame" on here and ebay too.They should make it that when you view a sellers auction and click his feedback rating there should be a line to click on to see if he's in there.Good luck.John.

F

Franz

While it would be convenient to have a list of lowlifes and crooks, asking Harry to establish such in the current legal climate is a step too far. Harry gives us a fantastic clubhouse to hang out in and grants one hell of a lot of latitude to us. He's even given us seperate boards for Light Plants, Steam, Big Iron and a few others, so asking him to take on potential liability for something like a List of Scummers is just too much. Having said all that, a simpler way tyo accomplish the same goal would be to simply agree among ourselves to post all references to crookid dealers under a common posting heading. That would require an archive search when considering a buy, but would protect Harry and our Clubhouse.

S

ShawnH

I have noticed that this Patrick Mosset uses the Yesterday's Tractors website on a regular basis to advertise John Deere two cylinder tractors as well. He appears to have a large inventory. Thanks for the heads up.

T

Tom Winland

Here is his ebay name mosset2cylinders@mail.com Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thanks Tom Winland Ohio

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
One main indicator with this one is told by comparing the feedback count for sold items since March (7) with the number of sold items (17).

That means 10 items were sold without anyone leaving feedback. The higher this ratio gets - look out! I have found that people like yourself are afraid to leave feedback because of a possible retaliatory negative feedback in your own profile. Lots goes unsaid.

Another way to look at it is that the prices of the two JD engines shown appear to match the items. You almost need to presume a crack or weld repair unless you specifically ask and describe what you mean. If the seller is short on words to describe an item, then there's room for problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.