• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Ireland Drag Saw: Looking For Owner/Information

SheldonDragSaw

Registered
I'm looking for the owner of the drag saw pictured below to get some information. I understand that the picture was taken at the September 2014 NY Steam Show in Alexander, and posted at Vintage Machinery.

My father bought the parts/remains from an Ireland drag saw, along with a buzz saw and a couple engines in the early 60's. We are finally rebuilding the drag saw. Its nearly finished and will be running this spring.

We are missing the large spur(helical?) gear that goes on the end of the long lengthwise shaft that lifts up to engage with the worm gear on the mainshaft to power advance the log. I am looking for a picture of the gear and tooth count/dimensions if possible so I can make a gear.

Regards,

Sheldon

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Sorry, here's the pic.

bryanb1138

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2017
Re: Ireland Drag Saw: Looking For Owner/Infomation

I have the pleasure of owning the pictured saw. The saw is currently stored away, but I will do my best to get some pictures and measurements in the next couple of days. I have never seen another one of these and it draws a lot of interest at our local show.

Thanks, Bryan

Steve Kreiner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2020

My brother owns one like yours and we take it too our club show and set it up.

bryanb1138

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2017

Sheldon, Here is a picture of the gear that I believe you are looking for. It is 19 tooth with some sort of relief cuts in it. At my best measurement, it is about 8 1/4" in diameter and 1 1/4" across the teeth. I have many more pictures. Please send me a private message with your Email address and I will send the to you.
Hope this helps, Bryan

Attachments