• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Iron Horse Engine

EvilDr235

Registered
Yours is a U.S.A. built engine. From what I have read the records for all the U.S. built ones were destroyed when the factory shut down, so dating it might be hard. I see gaskets sets on eBay for sale and misc parts once in a while. I have 5 at the moment, of which 4 were made in Canada. If you do searches on this site you will find some info about them. Neat little engine and low profile so they can be adapted to bicycles pretty easy. My 4 Canada built engines have suction carbs like yours and my U.S. built engine has a float carb. My U.S. built engine has a oval shaped gas tank.

James Bosma

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2016
Yours is a U.S.A. built engine. From what I have read the records for all the U.S. built ones were destroyed when the factory shut down, so dating it might be hard. I see gaskets sets on eBay for sale and misc parts once in a while. I have 5 at the moment, of which 4 were made in Canada. If you do searches on this site you will find some info about them. Neat little engine and low profile so they can be adapted to bicycles pretty easy. My 4 Canada built engines have suction carbs like yours and my U.S. built engine has a float carb. My U.S. built engine has a oval shaped gas tank.
I believe your Canadian Johnson Iron-Horses are the 400 series, this engine is 2 models older, this is a X2
Can you start a new thread and show use your collection of Johnson-Iron Horse

Last edited:

James Bosma

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2016
Your engine is a X2 Johnson Iron Horse with 2 pc tag
I would guess your engine is from the 1936 to 1938 range
You will find your suction carb is different from the X3 and 400 series engine
be careful with it as they are only on the X! and X2 Iron-Horse
Another difference is you will find you have a 1 pc block, the cylinder and base are cast as one
On the X3 and new engines these were now cast as 2 and the tags as 1
It appears you have the flex pipe adapter on the engine so i am guessing washing machine

in my collection i have the following models

X= kick start, mechanical governor all use models we X's
R= recoil start, Canada only
A= air vane governor, Canada only,

X2xx on a farm power generator
X3xx
X4xx
AX4xx
AR4xx
R4xx recoil start, no governor
X501 down draft carb 1.34 hp
AR501 own draft carb 1.34 hp