• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Issues with F-150 10speed transmission

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
Google F150 10 speed trans problems and you'll see you're not alone. I've seen trans problems on GM, Ford, and Ram, out of warranty we replace them. In warranty customers return to the dealers, the stories I've heard from friends is that the dealer has to try to repair them, most end up being replaced. Nissan CVT transmissions are another problem, Nissan finally offers a reman.

PEIHitandmissguys

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2020
Google F150 10 speed trans problems and you'll see you're not alone. I've seen trans problems on GM, Ford, and Ram, out of warranty we replace them. In warranty customers return to the dealers, the stories I've heard from friends is that the dealer has to try to repair them, most end up being replaced. Nissan CVT transmissions are another problem, Nissan finally offers a reman.
Yeah saw a bunch of stuff online. Just wanted to know if anyone here had issues. Mine is starting to downshift like you got rear ended and a buddy just had his towed to dealership yesterday. Transmission valve body is bad, 7-10 business days away.

pegasuspinto

Registered
I was driving a 2016 GMC with the gas engine, 6 speed tranny. After 4 years and 170k miles, tranny died, went to a shop i know, $4k and they slapped a GM reman tranny in, I don't consider that too bad. Not legendary, but not bad.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Every now and then in automotive periodicals or even on radio and tv I see headlines like 'Ford and GM team up to develop a new umpteen speed transmission'.
I shudder as these American manufacturers can't develop a tire that holds air much less something with more than four moving parts.

So here comes the new transmission that as expected blows up with regularity. They spend the next five years putting band aids on the turd to get it through warranty and eventually it becomes somewhat reliable. Then they discontinue it. The next week the media proudly flaunts Ford, GM and Fiat jointly develop a new transmission and again we're the guniea pigs. We're the idiots as we accept it and just ante up for repairs. Gimme one of those cars with the oddity of having three pedals on the floor.

*Sez the guy with a Nissan CVT trans. I bought a warranty to take it out past 260,000 miles though. I change the juice in it every 40,000 miles.

Birken Vogt

Registered
5 and 6 speed automatics with a torque converter are enough for a diesel road truck with the narrow powerband that that kind of engine has, why should a car need any more?

Big trucks used to have 4 speed automatics and those worked fine too.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I never understood the need for 10 speeds in a pickup.
Just literaly makes for more crap to tear up. The transmission can't be but so big to cram under the truck, so when you cram enough stuff for 10 speeds,none of it can be of any size and durabillty.
And even in the older 3 speed with od's, they didn't have enough sense to make the overdrive durable.It was the wimpy part that allways gave out and the transmission guy would always say,"You towed in overdrive didn't you? " No, the damn thing just kept shifting in and out of od at about 50 mph all the time when empty..DUH of course it will wear out
It is my understanding now that NO straight drives are even offered in lighter trucks. Sad, most are apparently to lazy to shift gears. I would prefer a straight drive but with my hip and knee going bad I opted for automatic in the latest truck purchase, 1700 bucks for 16,000 miles of driving it. I think I have put 2500 miles on it since. I don't trust it.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
The ten speeds are for the tiny turbo engines in a heavy truck, have to keep it in the power band. The first auto trans like the hydromatic used bands and clutches that had to be applied and released simultaneously, usually you felt a flare up on shifts. Then came the over running clutch or sprag, the trans started in first, applied second and first just over ran, if second went out you were back in first. This worked fine but you couldn't stack ten speeds together, so with computers and sensors they were able to apply and release again with the computer monitoring and controlling it. This is how they were able to get more ratios. I had an 04 Duramax- Allison with a 5 speed, The same trans had six speeds a year or two later, all were 6 speed capable, only needed a valve body change.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I am getting ready to go into a odd transmission my self, almost a hybrid! automatic and manual all in one type deal. 16 speeds both directions. 1,2,3,&4 are done with clutch packs then you have a shift fork to get into a higher range then 5,6,7,&8 use the same clutch packs. and i guess high and low are kind of like how a transfer case works? and it is a Ford. syncros are out and it has two @ $1200 each

Tom Wahl

Registered
Ford is on schedule to come out with an all electric F-150 in late 2021. That will eliminate the need for the 10 speed transmission. I am sure GM and Dodge are also working on an all electric pickup. I will be the first to order one when they are available.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I think Ford invested in the Rivian? "spelling" .That seems to be 1 strong truck if the specs are true.

pegasuspinto

Registered
More speeds is better, they would put a CVT in but for now a CVT that could stand up to truck duty is still not quite there yet I guess. The holy grail would be a CVT that could go into a class 8 OTR truck, but it looks like the Tesla truck is the next big thing. Is why Wal-Mart, JB Hunt, and others are heavy investors, they stand to save a ton of money coming and going if they can get a electric class 8 tractor.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Make sure there is no reprogram available. A lot of stuff gets fixed that way, now. Doesn’t have to be the dealer to reprogram. Lots of shops doing it.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Hard to beat the old TH-400 also. I punished a few of them in my time. When it comes to a work truck though, I run a stick if at all possible. Even converted automatic trucks for less than rebuilding the auto a few times. If you wear out a clutch that’s your fault...