• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ivel tractor Murray Bridge 2019

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Only got a couple of pics of this rare tractor. The bloke that owned it had another ,slightly different, half way done up. A lot of research and time would have gone into this.

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
That is a ODD looking tractor ,opposed twin engine?
It is neat to see the rare stuff. 1000 B john deeres in a row is nice,but something like this would stand out for sure.

Paul Richardson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
A mate of mine has one Neil,..a runner.It's quite a rare tractor for sure.
I'm wondering what part of the country that one hails from.I had an idea there was another complete one in WA?

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Was in a hurry Paul, I think he was from Gippsland way, he had to go early to get home to milk the cows! -- He was a very nice bloke to talk to. I did take some more photos, I had 2 phones and a laptop, and can't find the ones on the laptop. Bloody technology. I did take a pic of his sheet with machine details, but can't locate it!

jayvee

Registered
there is also one in the NSW Central West, originally from near Orange

Is this the one in the Forbes & District Museum?? :shrug:

jayvee

isandian

Registered
The McKenzie Brothers at Cumnock own one. It has been out to a number of shows and one of the "Plough and be Counted" events some time ago.
The ones at Murray Bridge would have been shown by Stuart Landry of Gippsland, who has also shown them at previous events.

Michaely

Registered
Is this the one in the Forbes & District Museum?? :shrug:

jayvee[/QUOTE]

the one I'm referring to is not in a museum. Its in a private collection in Cumnock

Peter Short

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2017
Here is an Ivel photo from a 1962 book "Old Farm Tractors" by Philip Wright. This book says Dan Albone's twin cylinder machines had 4 7/16" bore and 5" stroke and developed 24 hp. Unfortunately Mr Albone died in 1906 (or 1907?), about 900 tractors were built up to 1921.

I am sure there is more recent information on this man and his tractors.

Attachments

Jonesey

Registered
The Ivel are a very rare tractor, made in 1903 by Dan Albone who named it after the river that passed through his town. Only 9 are know to have survived with 5 located in Australia. Yes the Ivels at Murray Bridge are Kevin Martins, he had 2 on display. The first has been restored and is an earlier version with buzz coil ignition and 1 forward and 1 reverse gear. The second is in the process of being restored but is a later model with magneto and gearbox giving 2 forward and 1 reverse gear.
Well done Kevin excellent job in restoring. 👍 Rgds Les

Inter Bloke

Registered
Yes well I may be wrong but I believe there is one in the Esperance WA museum.
I've been through the Esperance museum and I don't remember them having an Ivel (and I think I would remember if I saw one unless it was under a cover)
They do however have a Saunderson, maybe that's the one you were thinking of.

Winchester

Registered
Yes well ,thank you Inter Bloke ,yes indeed you are quite correct It quite a few years ago and I recall seeing the restoration underway in the museum workshop A Saunderson it was indeed ,perhaps a case of olicophrenia !

rodneyt

Registered
I can recommend the book:
The Ivel Story by John Moffitt
as a great read from early history, push-bikes etc, with good old photos,
to recent restoration work on some surviving tractors.
PBS had a copy at Murray Bridge.
cheers Rod.

GreasyJohn

Registered
I've been through the Esperance museum and I don't remember them having an Ivel (and I think I would remember if I saw one unless it was under a cover)
They do however have a Saunderson, maybe that's the one you were thinking of.
you are right its a saunderson