• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

J. I. Case Pictures

halcon

Registered
They musn't have very good safety valves or water glass gages in Ausy. Some one has the little darling every steam person would like to have.

Colin Farquhar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I've seen the double safety valve thing before, not plumbed off the dome. There's a 50HP tandem compound down there that's set up like that, I'm thinking it may have been an Australian code requirement?

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
J.I. Case trucks?

I was aware they made cars but i did not know they buildt trucks aswell.Anybody know how many of these trucks are still around? and what was the time frame they were made?.Were they like the cars were made by somebody else?

Attachments

halcon

Registered
That was built by the J I Case plow works. It seems to me some one said that truck had an engine similar to a Wallace tractor. Are there any survivors in collections some where?

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Neat picture. It’s actually not an early portable. It’s a 30 Hp in the range of 1911-1914. Has the round top dome, and a Juudson governor. Likely had a steel heater too. The newer ones are very scarse, I only know of one portable and one engine.

halcon

Registered
I know I have asked this before, but when did Case start making rear mount engines?
It looks like the center crank rear mount came out in 1889. Then the side crank spring rear mounted came out with 2 being built in 1897 and 216 in 1898 and the rest is history. Taken from 150 years of Case.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Clyde, I'm sure this prototype side crank, rear mounted Case was early in that first string of Case sample engines. I found nothing in 150 years of Case about this. Apparently my Facebook friend CH Wendell wasn't aware of it?

Do you know anything more than what the photo explains? It doesn't appear to be spring mounted. The steam chest atop the cylinder took my fancy. If it were setting in some barn, somewhere, it'd probably be worth some sheckles? Gary:shrug:

Attachments

halcon

Registered
Some where I have or have saw a few posed Case factory photos of #6727 which is thought to be the first spring mounted engine. But that engine in your pix I agree is not spring mounted as the boiler side sheet. (wing sheet) appears to carry the differential shaft. I have yet to see an older parts book than for spring mtd engines,

halcon

Registered
Gary that last pic is about 1900 or 1901. Engine 6727 had the idler gear mounted on a shaft that went across the top of the wing sheets. What I believe to be a quote from the 1898 Case catalog in Wendel's book referring to the center crank engine listing changes made: " The huge casting which carries the axel and cross shaft is bolted to EXTENDED BOILER SHEETS, and all shafts operate in Babbitt bearings. So going back to the 1st pic there are many similarities to the center cranks, ie the stack, and even the boiler design. In the parts book there is listed, canon box for idler shaft 342C 20H prior to 6750. which matches the pic also bearing for hind axel prior to 6750 $ 10.00 most of the canon bearings were $35-$45 bux. So I am now wondering if all the side crank engines before 6750 were solid mounted except 6727 which was the experimental and patent model of the spring mounted engine. cheers. P S We must also remember that Case was still building some center crank engines in that time frame. it is possible that 6727 & 6750 were consecutive side crank engines.

Last edited:

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
Edward Ingleton took over from George W. Morris. Ingleton produced centre cranked and rear mounted engines in Brantford, Ontario for certain in the fall of 1888, and perhaps earlier (I have ads). They were sold under the "Conqueror" brand name. Those designs had been developed by Morris.
Morris (and Ingleton) also made threshers in Brantford and had many Canadian patents on threshers and ploughs.
Morris later went to work for J. I. Case Threshing Machine Co.
So if the time-line is correct, the Case rear mount engine designs were brought to Racine from Brantford by George W. Morris.
That would make the Case a Canadian engine?:D