• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Jacobson Machine Mfg. Co., Warren, Pennsylvania

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Jacobson Machine Mfg. Co., Warren Pa.

This Junior Sturdy Jack had been in the Jacobson registry for a while now but I only received pictures of it yesterday. Here are the pictures of this beautifully restored engine: http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/moody/page134.html

Note the shipping invoice dated July 1, 1915 in the last picture.

Denis Rouleau

NOTE: I can add your Jacobson also. Just email me your Jacobson's pictures at: denis.rouleau@outlook.com

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Here is a 1908 ad by Ashton Starke, Richmond, Va. They were farm implement dealers selling Jacobson engines at that time. By 1910 Ashton Starke was selling Gilson engines.

Denis Rouleau

Attachments

Don Worley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

This is something that I knew existed but took a while to get. It is from a 1922 Sanborn map which was published in 1922. These maps were used for insurance purposes. This one is in the archives of the City of Warren. The maps were updated by the city to reflect changes, thus the handwritten "burned" on some of the buildings. The buildings which burned were the Jacobson parts of which now had become Warren Gear. Followers of the site know that most of the buildings burned in 1923. The only remains of the complex is a portion of a corner of a building in the lower right corner which mostly is covered by a pile of dirt. The last intact building- the garage was torn down about 15 years ago. The site now a salvage yard. You can now compare the map to previous pictures I posted of the factory buildings. You may note that several gas were onsite, including three 60 HP ones which were no doubt Jacobsons. None remain.

Attachments

Last edited:

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019

I'm giving this very informative thread a bump. I've read that the portable engines were painted green and not maroon. Does anyone know what shade of green or have a paint code for it?

Don Worley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

The color of green is close to the old very dark Stover paint. I custom mixed my green so I have no paint number. Look at serial number 2184 on the Jacobson registry.

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019

That photo is exactly what I needed. I just cut the oak yesterday so I'll be putting one of your cart casting kits together soon. Thanks for the info!

Don Worley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I will be in Portland Wednesday through Saturday. I will have Jacobson parts with me. If I am not at my site near the South restrooms you can call my cell- 814 730 4183.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

The Jacobson engine registry now contains a little over 250 engines. This represent only 1% of all Jacobson engines built. There are obviously many more Jacobson engines out there!

Check the registry here: http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/moody/page101.html and send me the particulars and pictures of your Jacobson and I will gladly add it to the registry!

Thanks,
Denis Rouleau

RVandervoort1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2015

Giving this great thread a friendly bump. Also showing a piece I recently picked up for my collection.

RVandervoort1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2015

Got another addition to the thread and my collection.

I am going to start a build thread for this one also so there will be more pics to come. Also is there another spot to find the serial on it other than the tag as you can see mine doesn't say on the tag. I am also looking for a big clutch for it and any pics showing the correct trucks for this engine. Thanks Jay

Last edited:

RVandervoort1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2015

Hey Guys I just thought I would give this thread a friendly bump with a couple pics of the progress on my engine. Everyone who has a Jacobson that isn't yet in the registry get the serial to Dennis. I still have not found a serial number so if anyone has an idea where to look please let me know. Or if Dennis or Don have an idea on year based off the engine let me know also. Thanks Jay

Don Worley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Nice talking to you yesterday. Your engine was made in the middle teens. Your serial number is the one on the nameplate-9291. This size engine was earlier rated at 15 hp.

Don Worley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Here is a 1 1/2 HP Jacobson Maynard with a two HP intake elbow. From all appearances it is factory installed. Towards the end of production it seems that other compatible parts were used. It also has an original battery box.

Attachments

Sunnybrook

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/15/2019

I would like to share some pics of my nice original Sturdy Jack pumper #5153 and ask that you add it to your list Denis, Thanks!

I see the pictures are upside down for some reason and the wife is not here to fix it, darn.

Attachments