• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

January Cabin Fever Show

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
Anybody missing the old January Cabin Fever Model Show besides me? This month was perfect for a model show and I sure do miss it! This year with Easter or spring break being the first week of April, the shows will be weekend after weekend following the first week of the month off, ugh!

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
I don't go to the one in April. :( Anybody notice the gate fee this year? :rant:

Matt L

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2018
I also miss it being in Jan. Nothing else around here going on then, it was the perfect time for it.

GarysToys

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2018
Cabin Fever is not listed on the calendar above.

I liked the Jan. date also . I have too much work to get work to do in March and April.

Dies anyone know the actual dates this year?

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I also miss the mid-winter break away for Cabin Fever in January and would like to see it back in the winter again.

I was so wanting to get out of the cabin that my wife and I drove over 800 miles to visit the X-10 Graphite Reactor at the Oak Ridge National Labs on a quest for history.

Here is the result:

First Ever Nuclear Powered Electricity Generation on a Jensen #50

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142541

Also got to visit a fellow collector on the way home!

It was time very well spent and with gasoline at half price, much easier on the wallet.

Gil

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The January show was the best. perfect timing for a long winter. April ??? Noticed that attendance was off last year, and number of people showing was off too. I hope this show does not go away altogether. Gil, will you make it there this year?

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Maybe the "INCREASE" in gate fee will make up for the lower attendance. :crazy: :bonk: :salute:

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I have no problem whatsoever with a $5 increase in the gate fee.
The price has been $10 from the early years all the way through 2014.
There isn't a lot you can buy now for the same price you paid 15 years ago.
This is a bigger show and has more different types of exhibits than any other.

In addition, if you are an exhibitor or vendor, you are usually invited to have
some dinner and beverages at the Ag and Industry Museum on Saturday after
the show closes at 5 pm. If you go there it is easy to get back most or all of
your $15 in food and beverages along with a nice visit to the museum.

So, 15 bucks for all that and in a place where it is safe
to leave your prize possessions overnight works for me.

Not only that we now have $2 gasoline which helps all of us
coming and going. I drive about 600 miles on Cabin Fever
weekend and I did it with $4 gasoline too.

The best part is spending some quality time with other collectors
and engine builders. You cannot put a price on this.

My only real issue is the scheduling in April. I like the NAMES show too
and I can't do two of these in one month. Cabin Fever is about 600 miles
total driving for me and the NAMES show is about 1400 miles driving.
This also helped simplify my choice.

Gil

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Well, maybe 15 bucks isn't enough then. :shrug: Never thought bout that. :p

GarysToys

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2018
Gil

We are glad you made your trip. Otherwise we would not have had your story about the first atomic powered steam generator.

deverett

Registered
Speaking as an overseas visitor flying in from Ireland, the later date for me is preferable. Next time I go I would like to combine it with NAMES on the following weekend (or is it two weekends apart?). Ideal provided I can work out the travel arrangements between the two shows.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Just the ones that leave room for GRIPE. :crazy: You better git under that chair. :kick: After I thought bout it more, I think they should raise the price even more. :clap: But then, shouldn't matter to me, should it? :shrug:

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber
Come to my show in Estevan! I don't charge the exhibitors anything to exhibit or admission. All you have to do is get here and stay for a couple days. Regular admission is $2. I never believed in charging the exhibitors as they have travelled a great distance to be here and without them there would be no show!
http://www.estevanmodelengineeringshow.com

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
We cant complain about the admission prices!! Just think about all the new fees and tax's that have been dumped on us in this Obama economy, the cost for free insurance gets passed down the road to someone, this includes the building liability fees and rental fees. It wont be long and these clubs will no longer be able to afford any of this, The NAMES show has the Yack arena which allows them to setup without union workers or the needing of special fees, which can help with the cost. The bottom line is the cost will go up due to the Insurance premiums rising!!

Last edited:

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
I think the main reason they changed the date, was a chance of bad weather. If they had a bad snow storm etc. they would be in for a real
serious loss .I heard a few years ago that it cost them $60,000 to rent
the buildings plus the cost of insurance and all, if no one shows up because of the weather he has a real problem.
A few years ago they missed a snow storm by one week end.

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Jim, it's worse than if no one shows. A lot of us would drive through snow anyway. The big problem is if the York fairgrounds management wants to say it's closed for snow no one gets in period. And you can't get your money back.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Worst weather we ever had to drive through for a show was returning home from the NAMES show about 10 years ago. Drove through snow and freezing rain from Southgate, mi all the way to the pa border in some of the worst conditions imaginable. We passed about 200 accidents.... All this in April.