• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

January Cabin Fever Show

PTSideshow

Registered
We cant complain about the admission prices!! Just think about all the new fees and tax's that have been dumped on us in this Obama economy, the cost for free insurance gets passed down the road to someone, this includes the building liability fees and rental fees. It wont be long and these clubs will no longer be able to afford any of this, The NAMES show has the Yack arena which allows them to setup without union workers or the needing of special fees, which can help with the cost. The bottom line is the cost will go up due to the Insurance premiums rising!!
NAMES is a Not for Profit, all volunteer group. That sets the show up. Some of the city workers are union, but they don't charge the same fees they do at Cobo. We also have had the same dates since the start of the show. This will be the 26th year.

Since we are a non profit educational group located in Michigan, we have to follow the laws of Michigan in regards to how we operate etc. So many rules that they have lawyers that only do non profits. Making sure that the show stays legal.

When you are operating a business, you have to make a profit to keep operating. With the auction and show the bottom line is people thru the gate.

I hear many times from people that DO NOT have any idea about the real deal of putting on a show, let alone the costs and legal hoops that have to be jumped thru. For NAMES it is a year around work in progress. There are exhibitors that will steal the extension cords when they are packing to leave. I have caught one using acetone to try to remove the NAMES label on the cord, and it goes on and on.:shrug:

But the biggest threat to any and all shows, large and small are the simple fact that the number of people that are interested in steam, and other model equipment or full size are growing smaller each passing month mainly due to age, and the banking of the fires of life.

All we can hope for is new people coming into the hobby to keep it alive. So SUPPORT your local and other shows. When you can since most have dates for a year or two a head. Planning, planning and planning your trips!:brows:

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
NAMES is a Not for Profit, all volunteer group. That sets the show up. Some of the city workers are union, but they don't charge the same fees they do at Cobo. We also have had the same dates since the start of the show. This will be the 26th year.

Since we are a non profit educational group located in Michigan, we have to follow the laws of Michigan in regards to how we operate etc. So many rules that they have lawyers that only do non profits. Making sure that the show stays legal.

When you are operating a business, you have to make a profit to keep operating. With the auction and show the bottom line is people thru the gate.

I hear many times from people that DO NOT have any idea about the real deal of putting on a show, let alone the costs and legal hoops that have to be jumped thru. For NAMES it is a year around work in progress. There are exhibitors that will steal the extension cords when they are packing to leave. I have caught one using acetone to try to remove the NAMES label on the cord, and it goes on and on.:shrug:

But the biggest threat to any and all shows, large and small are the simple fact that the number of people that are interested in steam, and other model equipment or full size are growing smaller each passing month mainly due to age, and the banking of the fires of life.

All we can hope for is new people coming into the hobby to keep it alive. So SUPPORT your local and other shows. When you can since most have dates for a year or two a head. Planning, planning and planning your trips!:brows:
So what exactly are you saying here PT? You quoted my reply but said absolutely nothing about what I said? Whats the NUMBER cost the club pays for? All I was stating that the admission cost will rise with the cost of liability insurance costs rising, and it was aimed at the Cabin Fever show. I am so sick and tired of hearing the (non profit excuse) for the failing show, when Charlie and Paul and the other original founders retired its been going down hill ever since and believe me its not from one exhibitor stealing a power cord! Its management! I truly believe the intention is to end the show and sell out to Gary. If you want ideas from a business man to save your NON PROFIT, let me know and maybe its not to late.

PTSideshow

Registered
First they are two different shows no one is planning to sell out to Gary or anybody else. The show hasn't been going down hill since a number of the original people that help found the show are DEAD or to infirm to continue to participate.

If you are a business man then you know that a for profit company does things differently than a not for profit. Michigan has some of the toughest laws regarding operations of no profits!

Some of the city workers at the Yack are union.

The show is set up by VOLUNTEERS other than two to three paid temps to set up tables. Paul was sick for a numbers of years. Others moved away to be closer to their grand children.

The non profit is non an excuse, but a fact.

How many times have you helped or offered to help?

I have nothing against Cabin Fever. And it will only help the hobby if they continue.
I said nothing against you or Cabin Fever. Other then about the union workers.

There is way to much BS out there, Like going to sell out to Gary, the NAMES attendance has come up in the last couple of years.
Support the show you want.

Clif Roemmich

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
The same is true for the Black Hills Model Engineering Show. I do not charge the exhibitors and vendors pay a $25.00 fee.

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
First they are two different shows no one is planning to sell out to Gary or anybody else. The show hasn't been going down hill since a number of the original people that help found the show are DEAD or to infirm to continue to participate.

If you are a business man then you know that a for profit company does things differently than a not for profit. Michigan has some of the toughest laws regarding operations of no profits!

Some of the city workers at the Yack are union.

The show is set up by VOLUNTEERS other than two to three paid temps to set up tables. Paul was sick for a numbers of years. Others moved away to be closer to their grand children.

The non profit is non an excuse, but a fact.

How many times have you helped or offered to help?

I have nothing against Cabin Fever. And it will only help the hobby if they continue.
I said nothing against you or Cabin Fever. Other then about the union workers.

There is way to much BS out there, Like going to sell out to Gary, the NAMES attendance has come up in the last couple of years.
Support the show you want.
I have supported the NAMES show since day one and will continue to do so, I was a paying vendor for 10 years and donated hundreds of dollars in merchandise and tooling to the club to give away in door prizes. I helped every year pulling up table coverings before I left. I guess I know more about this show then you think I do, I have unlike the club members walked around and talked to people during the show and this included the members.

Last edited:

PTSideshow

Registered
You still are spreading BS with comments about running it down and selling it out to Gary.
And it is hard to know who you are with just the user name. But I checked your profile, Scott.

Then you should know what happened to some of the founding members. Meyers moved to Fla. and the older members can longer take part, due to health issues. And other have died Jacob, Stockton, etc.

You also should know the the directors do walk around all weekend of the show and talk to people. People also come up to the directors to talk to them

There are no members of "A" club as you state, the people that help with the show are all volunteers The board of directors and officers of NAMES which is incorporated in Michigan as a non-profit corporation and is not operated as a club, therefore there are no membership meeting.
Membership is a condition of the insurance carrier requirements, for the duration of the shows run.

The only thing I can add is that you do think you now more about the operation of the show than you do!

You also shouldn't post statements, that are hearsay!
And thank you for helping remove the paper table coverings.
Have a nice day.

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Gil
Yup I have driven in some bad weather to get to a show also. one year all the way across Ohio to get to cabin fever, we finally stopped and got a motel
room for the night, so the snow plows could catch up.
I talked to the guy who put the show on, and he told me if he had a bad year it would put him out of business. I have been to every NAMES show, since the beginning and it seems to be going about the same as before, although the yack is little small, and
they have run out of room, it still is a great show! I think the folks putting it on now are doing a great job, and if I didn't live 375 miles away would be glad to help set up ETC. It seems that every club has there ups and downs once in a while. Sometime getting new people to help with new idea's helps. Anyway my hat is off to the people putting the shows on for us.

Last edited:

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
You still are spreading BS with comments about running it down and selling it out to Gary.
And it is hard to know who you are with just the user name. But I checked your profile, Scott.

Then you should know what happened to some of the founding members. Meyers moved to Fla. and the older members can longer take part, due to health issues. And other have died Jacob, Stockton, etc.

You also should know the the directors do walk around all weekend of the show and talk to people. People also come up to the directors to talk to them

There are no members of "A" club as you state, the people that help with the show are all volunteers The board of directors and officers of NAMES which is incorporated in Michigan as a non-profit corporation and is not operated as a club, therefore there are no membership meeting.
Membership is a condition of the insurance carrier requirements, for the duration of the shows run.

The only thing I can add is that you do think you now more about the operation of the show than you do!

You also shouldn't post statements, that are hearsay!
And thank you for helping remove the paper table coverings.
Have a nice day.
Im glad you know who I am, because I still don't know you, and in 10 years you and your funny hat had never walked to my table and spoken one word to me or my wife. I think you just sit hear looking for trouble in your pajamas sipping coffee in your lazy boy, I made one comment that I feel to be true.... so you call it BS, well we'll see what happens down the road, but make no excuses when it happens. And I do know all the stories of the old members, I sat right next to Charlie for years at the Toledo arena and spoke to Paul every single year.. I also know several of the volunteers you speak of and have for years been setup right next to THEM! I'll let you come back with some smart $%$ reply to this as always but Im done.

PTSideshow

Registered
I'm a volunteer and not a director so I don't talk to every body. And I haven't taken any cheap shots at you. And if know me and my hat then you know who i am. But i will say you truly don't have a clue!

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Ptsideshow

I to was a vender for about 10 years, and donated some casting kits for the
raffle. I wanted to help the club out, and thought that was the least I could do, since I couldn't be there to help set up tables etc. I have been into the
Models building more or less for 35 years, and have med a lot of folks from
all over. I have to say that I met very few I didn't like. We are all in this together, and we need to all get along, or else were going to lose , and that would be a real shame.
I know its difficult some times. I used to be on the board at several clubs, and it seems that the same guys end up doing all the work, with little thanks
coming from all the other members, but they can come up with all kind's of
complaints, yet never show up to help. I think that is the nature of all clubs,
and always well be.
Oh well we well just have to keep doing the best we can.
Jim Gehringer
Formally BLACKBERRY MODELS.

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
WOW!

I thought the STEAMERS side keeps Beth, Harry & Craig busy.....I need to make some more popcorn!:rotfl:

deverett

Registered
Do we really have to have all this bickering among certain subscribers to this forum about the issues of different shows? Surely we should be on here to HELP each other, not HINDER one another.

I realise that the posts drifted a little off the original theme, but please let's keep everything civilised on here.

I'm neutral!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Jeff,
I appreciate the fact that you and I can rib each other without either of us gittin pissed at the other. :salute: Life's too short. :crazy: Nun of us gunna git out alive. :bonk: I try not to be too serious bout THINGS. :O

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
As a moderator for the Stak, I must inform all that personal attacks will NOT be tolerated by the Stak If they continue, this thread may be deleted by a higher authority (read Harry Mathews - the site owner). We are here to advance the presentation of out hobby, and preservation of the efforts of countless modellers that do manage to come to shows around the world. The fact that specific shows that feature models should be recognized as necessary to the presentation of the work and time expended in making these fine examples. There is no 'best', there should be co-operation in keeping them alive. The future of the hobby may depend on it.
Andrew Mackey moderator.

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
This thread was never meant to be like it turned out, I started it because I was reminiscing about the old January show, I made a comment on a post about the rising costs of admission prices and it seemed to have rubbed someone wrong. I'm not a scholar or college graduate so my writing ability is limited at best. I never meant to dig at the union workers or the club in general. But the replies I got were digs at me and how ignorant I am about the almighty model show, I have and will continue to support the NAMES as I have since Domino farms. I also want to apologize to you PT about my comments to you.