• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Jeff's old tug

Jeff S

Registered
Thanks Duey good day today grandson came over and we wrenched on the old tug together. So far he hasn't much use for cell phones and nothing for computers. I hope to keep him on the right track. He loves his tractors and going to shows. We show at the national gas and steam show in Brownsville. They run a lot of antique heavy machinery, he buddied up with some old dudes there last summer and by the end of the show he they had him soloing in a old diesel shovel. He's 10 and I gotta admit I'm a pretty proud pap. They made me promise to keep bringing him so he can keep apprenticing with them.
Also I do some of my best work sitting in a chair 😁😁

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Holy moley! Soloing on a Diesel shovel at 10? Proud pap? I guess! :)
I have a chance with one or perhaps three younger (7 & 8) grandson's... All we can do is introduce them and see if they're interested! The 7 yr old likes to sneak under the T, hook up the battery, climb in, honk the horn and turn on the lights.
Eldest granddaughter (13) is a whiz in a model T Ford behind the wheel.
Lucky boy, you have there Jeff. Thank you for typing about him.
I asked a good friend's 11 yr old boy over the p.a. as he was running an Eagle thru the parade "Jake, do you know how lucky you are?" He looks at me, nods and says with a grin "Yep."
:)
Oop, back to my madness dissecting/cleaning a couple of magnetos for my tractors... Much to do!
Chairs: Or a tractor's front wheel! I carry an ancient, squeaky folding chair out in the woods to work on something low.
"Also I do some of my best work sitting in a chair 😁😁" Hahaha! I needed that laugh tonight! Thank you sir! (y)

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
Jeff ... you gonna have the tug ready for Brownsville spring show ?
Sure like to see it & meet you & grandson.

Jeff S

Registered
Jeff ... you gonna have the tug ready for Brownsville spring show ?
Sure like to see it & meet you & grandson.
We sure plan on being there. I'm beginning to think tug won't be done but I'm gonna try. Maybe if it's close we'll bring it anyway. We always try to set up just a little down the hill from the service station on the other side of the road. We've been showing at the fall show for a couple of years next to some friends who've been showing for many years. This will be our first spring show and are looking forward to it. I'll always have an extra chair and there is nothing I enjoy more than chewing the fat with new and old friends. Brownsville is one of my favorite shows but it's hard to pick one. Got invited to Johnny Boston's last year and went to both shows. West Virginia has some of the nicest people I've ever met, and sure make us feel welcome. As to the tug I'm sure we can have it running but the tin is really bad and I have no experience. Between my son, grandson, and friends we really like doing everything ourselves with supplies we have salvaged. Much as I hate it I may have to go for outside help on the tin. I don't think I would care so much but this thing has the potential to turn out super nice and with that old flat head 4 cup British Ford engine be a great conversation piece. Well I'm rambling no so gonna say good night 😑

Jeff S

Registered
Well the steering is finally al done and fine tuned 🥳. My son came up today and we put the engine, tranny, and rear end back in. I now have an idea of what space I have to fill up from the rear axle back I also have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do for the hitch. Probably gonna mount the gas tank and work on getting the engine running. We only had it running for a few seconds cause of no coolant and for that short time it sounded good. Now need to see if fuel pump and carb are gonna be ok. If all goes well I'll hook up the chain drives and take her for a spin!! I'll have to see how much time that all takes then decide if there's time to tear it back apart for paint or maybe leave it together for a while. I have 3 shows in May and would really like to take it but no way am I going to have tin work done barring a miracle lol.20200310_170703.jpg20200310_170900.jpg

Jeff S

Registered
Well this is pretty much what she looks like all together. Still some more prep work quite a few things I still have to make fit. Hopefully I'll soon be able to get it running. Was thinking about putting a bugg type seat on but now since I'm seeing it more put together I'm not so sure about it 🤔. There's a couple different ways I can go on the fuel tank, I have a cool barrel type with a gingerbread bracket also could hide it under the hood tractor style. I think I'm indecisive but I'm not sure lol. 20200317_154944.jpg20200317_155020.jpg20200317_155045.jpg

Jeff S

Registered
Started fabbing my hitch plus a better look at unit since it mostly together. It takes a long tim to cut a square hole in a piece of 3/8" plate with cave man tools lol 15845676678014236921334302791151.jpg15845677011064979200622594842170.jpg15845677290742868344348182884122.jpg

Jeff S

Registered
Have spent the last two days trying to get the engine running. I have two carbs (a tillotson and a solex] the first a very simple one the solex more complex. When I took the solex apart for cleaning the fitting that one of the adjusting screws seats in pulled the threads on the carb housing. I was able to get it tite (though not as tite as I would have liked), point is would sooner not use it cause of that. On the tillotson carb cleaning and reassembly went well. We also checked to be sure the float had no leaks. On our first day of trying she started right up but would only run if fully choked and when I say fully I mean with a piece of cardboard over top of carb. We checked the manual fuel pump and using my finger to restrict it shoots fuel about 5 feet. With the engine choked in this fashion the throttle could only be open a crack for engine to run. Since the fluids were all good and it was running so smoothly (although a very fast idle) I left it run for about twenty minutes till my son came. We tried adjusting and everything we could think of, including putting the solex carb on but always the same result. The next day started the same way. I had my son take the tillotson carb apart again and clean it and check my work. When we removed the carb I mentioned the lack of gas when we took it apart. When we reassembled we bolted the bottom half of the carb down, filled it with gas and then put the top half on. Engine ran much better but only for a minute. We tried raising the tank to gravity feed with no luck after that we hooked up an electric pump. With that pump we were able to get running but still not right. Right now I have no hard hook ups to throttle or choke so my son suggested I do that before we continue. It was kinda like a monkey and a football with me working throttle and him working choke and trying to adjust. Wrapping up it still seems to be starving for gas though not as bad as at first. I have another electric pump but I don't know what pressure they are putting out. I could probably make a tester if I must. any in put would be appreciated. Also when carb was apart the float and needle value seemed to work perfectly

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Deleted, wrong information for this thread. Info was for a zenith....