• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Jensen Straight Lift Jack

hiker

Registered
Hi Folks,

I bumped into your forum while researching some equipment I stumbled upon during a hike in Moorpark, CA. Its a Jensen Straight Lift Jack model 2D, Serial 1035. Its on land once used for cattle, and with the water tower and troughs near by I assume it was used to pump water and not oil. Can anyone tell me more about it? I have attached photos.

I found a model 2 in the forum, but the beam looks a little smaller. The base is similar to the model 50 I have seen at an auction site.

I'm curious: It seems the ones I see in photos are operating with electric motors. There was no motor or motor parts laying around. Were these things usually run by electricity or diesel? The area was a little desolate -- hard to believe electricity came in.

Thanks,
Dean
https://www.hikingwithdean.com

20200118_105012.jpg 20200118_105442.jpg

Allan Wright

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2019
Welcome Dean. The 2D and model 50 are the same size pumpjack. If you look closely on the bottom left side of the tag, it will more than likely say “2D or Model 50”. The older pumpjacks had longer walking beams like the one you are showing. Some jacks had longer stroke lengths than others. I was trying to look at the crank weights to see what they looked like, but I couldn’t tell from the picture. The older units had a different shape than the newer ones do. Most of the time the first two numbers of the serial number is the year it was manufactured. Your serial number is not that way. Most likely this pumpjack was made in the early to mid 1950’s.
This pumpjack could have been powered by an air-cooled engine (i.e. Briggs & Stratton or Wisconsin).
Is the horse head still there? It bolts on to the end of the walking beam.
This size of pumpjack was capable of pumping wells as deep as 600 feet deep.