• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Jerry Evans - South Africa - contact?

onetrack

Registered
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if Jerry Evans of Gauteng South Africa is still alive and kicking?
He has a website where he says he makes brass specification/ID plates for anyone who can provide a good photo of, or supply an original plate.

I tried to contact him on the email address provided on his website - twice - and each time, the email bounced back with a Mail Delivery System Failure message - "Unknown address error 550 - 'No such person at this address' ... "

Jerry Evans website

Cheers, Ron.

onetrack

Registered
Thanks for that info, Kerry. It sure would help if the daughter put up some kind of working contact details, and also put up a note saying Jerry was no longer alive - otherwise there must be a lot of people like me, who waste time and effort trying to contact Jerry, not knowing otherwise.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Thanks for that info, Kerry. It sure would help if the daughter put up some kind of working contact details, and also put up a note saying Jerry was no longer alive - otherwise there must be a lot of people like me, who waste time and effort trying to contact Jerry, not knowing otherwise.
Ron, yes, that would be a good idea but I know its hard for a family member to do that sometimes. The web page is often one of the last connections to the deceased and with Jerry and his love for the old iron, it represents well his fine work.

I probably got the last 2 brass plates Jerry made. Those of us that were involved with the Stationary Engine List (SEL) would have an annual charity auction around Christmas to raise funds for a good cause. It would usually raise $1000 or more. Jerry offered on the charity auction that he would make 2 brass plates. I won the bid at around $70. Shortly afterward we learned of Jerry's illness and I didn't want to bother him with making the plates so for a year or so I never said anything. Then one day I get an email from Jerry and it says "I urgently need to chat with you". We conversed and Jerry told me of his failing health and he really wanted to make the plates ASAP. I sent him what I needed to have made and about a month later got them back in the mail. They were perfect. It wasn't many days later that we heard Jerry had passed. He was a good man and great at what he did for the old iron hobby.

To help on your quest to have some plates made, here is a company that does excellent work. I have no idea of their pricing but have seen a few plates they've made and you will be pleased:

http://www.vintagebrassplates.co.uk/

Winchester

Registered
I too thought the nameplate that jerry made for me may have been one of the last he did . However what a loss to our hobby ,Jerry was such an obliging person ,greatly missed.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

I too thought the name plate that Jerry made for may have been one of his last.However what a loss to our hobby ,Jerry was such an obliging person ,he is greatly missed.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Anybody know how to reach out to Jerrys daughter??

I'd like to make contact with his cousin Oscar and try to make arrangements to see the giant Tangye next time I'm in South Africa.

Jonathan