• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

John Deere E magneto, mounting holes missing how to repair

bmklawt

Registered
I have this magneto for a 1-1/2 hp E with the mounting holes mostly missing, just looking for ideas on how to repair this. My thoughts are to fill up the base with JB weld and re-tap the threads.
I prefer not to spend the $300.00 on a new housing.
IMG_0250.jpg

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
I've done the JB Weld repair on one of those mags. It worked okay for a little while. Ended up trading that mag in on a freshly rebuilt one with a new case. You should be able to get a core value for the mag you have and will be happier in the long run.

cobbadog

Registered
Anything is worth a try if you cant spend the money but sooner or later it will fail again and you will have to replace it. Once broken like that unless you know a very talented welder it is toast.

kwfiggatt

Registered
Mill out the old threaded bosses and weld in new ones? It all depends on your tooling and skill set.

You could grind out the old bosses with a die grinder, dremel, etc. then epoxy (JB weld) in new steel coupling nuts that are trimmed to length. Maybe weld some dingleberries on the coupling nuts so that the epoxy has something to grab on to. That would probably hold up for a while....

If you don't have welding equipment, maybe you could get some of the propane torch aluminum brazing rods from harbor freight and give them a try. I haven't used them, but they look promising. I'd make sure to sand the base metal down to shiny before trying any kind of welding / brazing, though...

cobbadog

Registered
I have seen some advertising around the web showing how to silver solder or braze alloy and they make it look so very easy. Research this process and you will see that there is an awful lot they dont tell you. The preparation like so many things is critical to it working at all and that a brass wire brush must be used to do the final prep. Then there is the technique required to do the job and make it look as good and to actually bond the pieces together. Many years ago there used to be a show on TV with a bloke called Joe the Gadget Man. He would demonstarte all kinds of products that were for sale. He must have spent months learning how to use the items he was flogging and when you bought one you ended up tossing it in the bin.

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
I have this magneto for a 1-1/2 hp E with the mounting holes mostly missing, just looking for ideas on how to repair this. My thoughts are to fill up the base with JB weld and re-tap the threads.
I prefer not to spend the $300.00 on a new housing.
View attachment 396706
I think its made out of pot metal cant weld it jb weld will /might work for a temp fix but when it breaks and if your engine is running bad things will happen like trashing out the inside gears ect I myself would not risk it

Scotty 2

Registered
What I've done before is clean out the inside where the surrounds around the holes are and make an aluminium plate that fit snugly inside (this would mean putting a scallop type groove in it to accommodate the hump in the base). You'll also need a spot for the two mounting threads in the new plate. Put 4 screws through the ends to hold the plate in place. If you look in the picture there are 4 spots already marked for the screws. I glued it in with the Sikaflex I use on boats. The metal will let go before it will.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Not an answer to your problem, but that's a pretty poor and flimsy mount set up on that magneto? Not much design work gone into that. Considering the problems with pot metal mount threads on much more solid mounts for years before this one was made. No wonder it broke.

Ed Radtke

Registered
that's a pretty poor and flimsy mount set up on that magneto? Not much design work gone into that. Considering the problems with pot metal mount threads on much more solid mounts for years before this one was made. No wonder it broke.
[/QUOTE]
I would say that it far outlived its life expectancy.

David Cave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2019
I have one that was fixed similar to what Scotty 2 describes above. Mag works fine, no problems.
Dave

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
Make an insert that fits inside the cavity between the bolts. Mount that to the motor, then mount the mag to that insert by drilling and tapping bolts from each side.