• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

John Goodison Threshing Co. Sarnia Ontario

Scott H

Registered
Well I searched, would have swore there was, but there isn't, so lets start... a thread about Goodison engines. I think I have heard of and seen more of these engines sitting, unseen to the public then I have at shows. They were built to around 1925 in think, so where are they all?

I think they are a good looking engine, clean simple lines, well balanced and I've always had a soft spot for them, maybe because I don't see them that often?

Scott H

Registered
Re: John Goodison Threshing Co. Sarnia Ont.

Mr. G, thank you, I had seen that thread and that's what made me go looking for the "other" thread I thought was here, but turns out I was imagining things.

What sizes did Goodison make, what years, when did they go to butt strap? All good questions I'm sure can be answered with the knowledge on this forum. It would be nice to start a list of Goodison's left around, running or not.

todd michel

Registered
Re: John Goodison Threshing Co. Sarnia Ont.

there are two goodisions around petawwa running .....15 years ago .
There is another in campbellford .all there but in rough shape boiler wise .
one in watford ,one around ridge town all 20 hp
and the last 25 is in southern ontario

Frick1909

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2015
They are the only other engine that makes great stack music next to a Keck.

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
A late Goodison with a butt strap boiler. Part of the Reynolds-Alberta Museum Collection. Seems to be in good shape, needs a new stack though.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Guys,
It looks like the Sawyer-Massey boiler.
The later Goodisons used a John Inglis boiler. It is normally identified with two rows of rivets at the base of the dome. Many of the Inglis boilers will have J. I. Co. stamped in the backhead.

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working
A late Goodison with a butt strap boiler. Part of the Reynolds-Alberta Museum Collection. Seems to be in good shape, needs a new stack though.
Hey Randy
Was is the engine number on this engine ?
Should be a cast oval plate on flywheel side on smokebox part .....
Cheers T

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
There was an article in Engineers & Engines 2-3 years ago on Goodison. We could not determine where the early Goodison boilers were built. One source said that Waterous made them. However, that could not be verified from existing boilers. Goodison did handle the Waterous portables, and the "New Waterous" traction engines before it started building its own engines.
There is a nice Goodsion portable in the Lambton County Museum near Grand Bend, Ontario. I have wanted to get up there and have a good look at that engine, but can't seem to get the time.
There are a couple of older 18 hp traction engines in western Ontario. One has numbers and stamps all over the back head. I have them recorded in notes here, but not sure where. I do recall seeing John Goodison initials stamped clearly in it.
Bill Jackson was a strong Goodison man at Wyoming, Ontario. He passed away recently at 95, one of the best steam and tractor men anywhere. Mr. Jackson told me that he understood that some of the earlier Goodsion boilers were built be the Stevenson Boiler Works at Petrolia, Ontario.
Again, there is nothing so far to verify this. Petrolia was the pioneer North American oil producing centre. Stevenson made boilers and machinery for the oil fields:
http://lostlambton.proboards.com/thread/32/stevensons-boiler-engine-works
As always, more research is required!

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Our engine is serial number 1804. Unfortunately, the file does not contain any boiler marking record. I won't be able to examine the engine for at least a couple of weeks as it is stored in an offsite facility. I always love learning things!