• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Johnson 5.5 Seahorse Recoil Help

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Going to replace spring in the recoil housing of a 50s 5.5 seahorse.
When I reassemble what is supposed to create the friction to make the pawls engage, the center bushing bolts to the housing and stays put, the only way I could see is from friction with the center bushing and the tin plate that holds the springs for the pawls, but it just spins and they won't go out unless you hold with your finger tip.
There is a big spring under the tin plate but there isn't near enough pressure from that to make enough friction to hold the tin plate which would then make the pawls engage.
I will throw this whole thing in the garbage if I can't figure this out soon.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Re: Johnson 5.5 seahorse recoil help

Here are some pics, there is nothing that catches on that tin plate all i can see is that it's supposed to be friction that holds it back and makes it pull the springs to engage the pawls, if I do that with my finger tip it works perfectly but there isn't enough when just bolted together.
It did work when I took it apart to replace the recoil spring, so this is really pissing me off.
Thanks guys

Attachments

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Re: Johnson 5.5 seahorse recoil help

Does anyone have a service manual that shows or explains how this recoil is supposed to work or go together.
I know I have it put together correctly but can't see how it gets enough friction to hold back the tin plate to engage the pawls

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Got it all reassembled with new stuff, tweaked the plate to create friction, worked for about 10 pulls and now it just freewheels again, wont engage pawls.
Damn thing