• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Jonsered Identify

shiftlessguy

Registered
Picked up an old saw for $20, couldn't resist for 20. No model on saw anywhere but a serial# and whatever else I could find for ident. Here's what I found. Measurement for bore may be off a bit since it's not apart yet, 2"stroke 1.75". Used a cc calculator online came out to 90cc, seems high but I don't know anything about this brand. Capitol M by carb adjusts.CEV on flywheel made in Italy Mod 6587. Had NGK plug I'm sure, not orig.,bpmr7a. The serial # is 276940. I took a few pics. Saw was heavily used as the chain was about done and clutch showed wear where chain rides, Bar was an Oregon, not orig I'd assume and pretty much done there too. Recoil needs work ill assume springs broke. Piston looks good or at least no scoring. That's about all I know.
20200222_155404.jpg20200222_155417.jpg20200222_155431.jpg20200222_155446.jpg20200222_155549.jpg20200222_155817.jpg

oologahan

Registered
It looks like a 56cc Jonsered Raket model 60 made from 1966-1973 or a 75cc Raket model 75 made between 1967-1968 the 75cc saw had a 50mm bore and the 56cc had a 45mm more. There will be a date on the bottom of the carb probably just the last two numbers of the year

Last edited:

shiftlessguy

Registered
It looks like a 56cc Jonsered Raket model 60 made from 1966-1973 or a 75cc Raket model 75 made between 1967-1968 the 75cc saw had a 50mm bore and the 56cc had a 45mm more. There will be a date on the bottom of the carb probably just the last two numbers of the year
I know its got a tillotson carb but havent taken it off yet,Gotta bring it to car wash and hoser off.I will post when i get that far.

shiftlessguy

Registered
K a little more info from saw,carb was made in 1963,model of carb was tillotson H821C.I decided not to do a complete teardown.There was a # on the bottom side of cylinder which was 50ZN6.50CC ?

oologahan

Registered
The info I have was both Racket 60 and Racket 75 model saws were made in 1966-67, but that may not be accurate or this may be an earlier model, but I don't think so. I think it's the Racket 75. I think you can safely use 32 or 40 to 1 with a good quality two stroke oil. I use 40:1 in many of the ones I have that were spec'd for 16:1 with crappy old oil from the 60's most of it was low quality 30w motor oil.

oologahan

Registered
Thanks,how about point gap,plug too
Ignition timing is 2.5 mm before TDC, Breaker points are set at between .30-.40mm, the coil air gap set a .3 mm or .012", the spark plug is a Champion CJ7Y set at 5-6 mm or .020-.024. Carb rebuild kit a Tillotson (buy OEM) RK-23HS. BTW, its not a H821C carb, the 8 is actually a S, so a HS21C carb

oologahan

Registered
BTW, the Racket model RS 60 weighs 13.73 pounds with no bar and chain the Racket model XM 75 weighs 13.77 pounds

shiftlessguy

Registered
Gonna try and see if saw will start tomorrow,a ton of compression,wish it had a boot toe hold on it.Too bad bar and chain are about shot.Might have to get new ones and hang on to it for a power saw, no safety stuff though.

msellers

Registered
Be cognizant of operating safely, and the safety stuff seldom if ever goes into play. 98% of my saws are before safety features were mandatory. You got a great find there, I would love to own one like that. Should be easy to modify a bar to function properly with it. Almost bet there is a direct bolt up bar that will fit and oil properly to be honest.
Mike

oologahan

Registered
Gonna try and see if saw will start tomorrow,a ton of compression,wish it had a boot toe hold on it.Too bad bar and chain are about shot.Might have to get new ones and hang on to it for a power saw, no safety stuff though.
Bar mount patterns that will work are a Carlton 71, Oregon DO24, Windsor JR, or GB JO. It looks like it is a 3/8" by .404 chain

shiftlessguy

Registered
Bar mount patterns that will work are a Carlton 71, Oregon DO24, Windsor JR, or GB JO. It looks like it is a 3/8" by .404 chain
Gotter running! Probably would've started 1st pull but forgot to hookup coil wire. Runs like a raped ape! I have a husky 36 maybe 50cc, boy you can tell the power diff!

gdstew

Registered
"It looks like it is a 3/8" by .404 chain"

I have absolutely no idea what chain that is. You can get a 3/8" pitch or a .404 pitch chain and then .050, .058, or .063 gauge. .404 was getting hard to get, may even be obsolete by now. Regardless, you need a chain that matches your sprocket and bar (if sprocket tip). You said the sprocket was worn, don't try running a new chain on it. The sprocket and chain wear together as a "set".

shiftlessguy

Registered
Ran it with bar but no chain,didnt tune carb just left it alone,needs a load anyhow to tune carb in,oil pump works.Wont be 1 handin on starts thats fer sure.My husky ill 1 hand if its warm,not cold though.

oologahan

Registered
"It looks like it is a 3/8" by .404 chain"

I have absolutely no idea what chain that is. You can get a 3/8" pitch or a .404 pitch chain and then .050, .058, or .063 gauge. .404 was getting hard to get, may even be obsolete by now. Regardless, you need a chain that matches your sprocket and bar (if sprocket tip). You said the sprocket was worn, don't try running a new chain on it. The sprocket and chain wear together as a "set".
Both the Jonsered model 60 and 75 run 3/8" or .404 pitch according to the manual, sorry about the confusion .404 is not obsolete I still buy them. A 3/8" by .050 bar and chain set up would be cheaper and allow you to run a less expensive chain. I alway replace the sprocket and chain together, it's hard to tell sometimes exactly what it was on before and like you said, they should wear together, a worn sprocket will damage a chain