• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Just don't know about this air cooled...

maak

Registered
i recently acquired this motor, i need some help.
i cant seem to figgure out what it is for sure.
it has no name or number tags. no cast #`s
or stamped #`s .

Attachments

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
Re: just don`t know

More pictures might help. Looks like it might be an early motorcycle engine. Any carb or ignition parts with it?

Frank17

Registered

Looks to ressemble a Smith Motor Wheel...not enough pictures. But i can tell that it is a motorcycle engine of some sorts.

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012

Looks close, or possibly just like a 1911 Vintage Excelsior Auto-Cycle built by Excelsior Supply Co. Randolph Street Bridge, Chicago, Ill

Could be off of a different brand, but definatly a motor cycle engine.

abriggsman

Registered
If im not mistaken that appears to be an early harley davidson single cylinder cycle engine. Possibly250-500cc
But I could be wrong. Its hard to tell without actually seeing
it on person. I would check with vintage Harley Collectors first
to get a positive ID on that engine.That would Be your best start . Good luck to you:wave:

S

speleausmining

There was a thread like this a little while ago, I think the concesus was that its a motorcycle engine. I dont know what brand or even if the brand was identified. but then engine in that thead was almost identical. :rolleyes:

maak

Registered

thanks, i will try and get more pics

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

More pictures might help. Looks like it might be an early motorcycle engine. Any carb or ignition parts with it?
thanks, i will get more pics

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2016
Whatever brand this is hasn't been mentioned yet. I do not know what it is but I don't think it is as early as the design suggests. The end of the crankshaft is speaking to me, I just can't hear what it's saying. It has flat spots milled off with a hole through the milled area, not threaded on the end to hold a pulley or sprocket. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the other side.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Holy Cow maak, just noticed, almost 4 years between posts? :wave:

SteamfanMN

Registered
I'm no expert by any means but I am convinced this is not a Harley as they had a external rocker arm and they had their name embossed on the bottom of the crankcase and a serial number at the top of the crankcase where the cylinder met and there was also a number on the base of the cylinder too. Also with Harley's they had a magneto this one appears to have a battery and coil system since I don't see a bracket for one.

Could be a lesser known maker, most older big names had their names embossed on it somehow.

SteamfanMN

Registered
Thanks for the correction Bill, that's what happens when I don't double check my facts I send out BS :bonk: I got a friend who may know I'll talk to him tomorrow.