• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kalamazoo 216-L info needed

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
My grandson volunteers at the Ohio Railroad Museum and has been given the task of restoring a Kalamazoo 216-L speeder. The ignition is mia but there's a very crude wooden mounted set of points that look original to it. I plan on using a 6 volt battery and coil for the ignition. This engine appears to run in both directions. I have two questions at this point. One what position does the lever in the picture go to start the engine and two the crank is also mia so what does it look like to be able to go in both directions? Single directions cranks have a curved slot to disengage the crank when the engine starts.

I've only found one reference, www.kalamazoomanufacturingco.net/railprods.htm
Anything anyone can add would be greatly appericated.
Thanks
Joe

Attachments

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Forgot to add. In the above link the speeder 216L is pictured at the end. The 3 HP engine is also shown on about the 6th picture.

thanks again
Joe

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Update, I Found a manual on a Fairmont 2 cycle speeder that had the information I was looking for. We built a "buzz box" battery ignition for it and my grandson has been proudly running it up and down short section of track demonstrating it to visitors of the ORM. Been running it at 12:1 oil mixture that might be too rich but will continue untill I find out otherwise.