• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Katolight 30 KW Generator

jtpasto

Registered
Katolight Model D30FPJ4, S/N LM-347776 64907-1. It is currently wired three phase. Can it be wired single phase, 120 / 240?

Steve Dawkins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/04/2016
I 've only worked on one Katolight generator, and that was several years ago. Even then, I was just repairing the AVR, and not working with the output leads. I will attempt a guess at your question, but more knowledgeable members should be along that can provide a better answer, or confirm what I tell you.

According to the data plate, your generator has a 120/208 volt three phase output. The four output wires would be L1, L2, L3, and L0 which would be the neutral. Each line wire would measure 120 volts to L0 (neutral), and 208 volts between any two of the three lines.
The "12" on the data plate probably means that the stator actually has 12 leads coming from the windings. These twelve wires can be configured differently to provide a variety of three phase output voltages such as 120/208, 120/240, & 277/480. They probably can be connected in a double delta configuration to provide 120/240 volts, single phase.

Katolight probably stamped the data plate 4 wire to match the 120/208 volts, 3 phase , 4 wire system ordered by the customer, but the "12" stamp indicates that the generator can be configured for different voltage systems.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
That looks like a Marathon generator that Kato rebadged. I have seen a few and they were all normal 12 lead with a Marathon AVR. But I have not seen them all.