Kellogg American Model 211

rider5

I was reading about some of the compressors and I got to wondering about the one I use in my garage. I think it is a Kellogg American model 211 with a serial no. 312382 and may still be on the original tank, although I am not sure the Leland electric 3/4 horse motor is original. Can anyone direct me to any info on this model?

Vanman

Subscriber
That is a very neat compressor! It looks all original from here, but hard to know for sure. I have a couple of Kellogg American compressor projects, but am not familiar with the Model 211.

I have a 1961 3 - 5 hp 332TV pump that I have acquired a good 1969 80 gallon horizontal tank for, and an unknown year 7-1/2 - 10 hp 352TV pump.

This site shows mine, but not your 211...
http://www.aircompeq.com/ka.htm

I always inspect and hydro test all old air tanks before putting them in service. They do rust out, and can fail catastrophically, like a bomb.

Keith

miltruck

I too have an old Kellogg; a 321 2 stage on it's original tank dated in the early 1950's. Looks like yours is a single stage.
Original motor was 1.5 hp 3 phase if I remember right, but I wanted more air so I installed a single phase 3 hp motor and a large pulley so the pump runs way over design speed (close to 1,200 rpm). Set pressure @ 165 psi and it's been running this way for over 25 years. Have done the valves twice but other than that nothing. Son used to run the home made blast cabinet for hours, with the pump running non stop. These old units are most likely the toughest compressors ever built.

rider5

Yes my 211 is a single stage and doesn't put out many cfm's but it is fairly quiet and most of the time I don't need a large volume of air. I have a Quincy 325 that I used to power with a Hatz diesel when I needed high volume for air sanders and paint guns, but I haven't fooled with that sort of thing to much in the last few years so I repurposed the Hatz on a home built tractor. The Kellogg keeps up with most of my needs in the garage now and it only cost me $50.00 dollars to purchase a few years ago. I did do some work on the bottom of the tank when I got it and the hydro tested it to 300psi before putting it into service. Off and on I have looked for info on the compressor but never found much.

miltruck

If it is anything like my 321, all you will ever need to replace is the valves in the head. I also would guess they are just the same as the 321, which I got on-line pretty cheap.