• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kelly & Lewis Marine ?

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Was looking at a local collection today with this Unfamiliar K&L engine ? perhaps a marine engine or something else? I doubt the magneto is the original and opposite looks like a coupling point for perhaps a water pump? anyone know what it was used for or the details or history of the build type?

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Before seeing those photos, I would have said there was no such engine. If you could find a serial number I will check the records.

Eric

Scotty 2

Registered
I'd doubt it would be a marine engine. How would you start it? The cranking dog is on the output shaft. Even if the drive was coupled up to the flywheel (4 holes), it would be a pain to start.
As Eric has said, more information and pictures would be nice. I know Kelly and Lewis weren't real big on having serial numbers stamped on their engines but possibly a casting number with a model prefix?
It also looked as though someone got the poos with the original induction.
That adapter and drive on the opposite side of where the magneto drive is is a curiosity. Why? To drive a small cooling pump? If it was for a cooling pump why didn't they use the type of pump that they put on the Triumphs? We have Triumph #131 Eric.

Last edited:

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Before seeing those photos, I would have said there was no such engine. If you could find a serial number I will check the records.

Eric
When next at the owners I will have a look for the engine number, one of the past owners years ago did mention it had one so hopefully that is correct, apparently there's another engine of the same build in a collection in Vic ??

isandian

Registered
Any clue as to its age? Going by the style generally it looks to me like 1920's. The extended crankshaft indicates a drive pulley could have been fitted. The V-belt pulley is out of character to me.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Any clue as to its age? Going by the style generally it looks to me like 1920's. The extended crankshaft indicates a drive pulley could have been fitted. The V-belt pulley is out of character to me.
The V pulley is probably a later addition, the 4 holes in the flywheel could be for a drive pulley or drive flange?

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Having a closer look at the photos, I am wondering if that crankcase isn't a steel fabrication. It looks to be welded. Someone made it up out of KL parts?

Eric

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Having a closer look at the photos, I am wondering if that crankcase isn't a steel fabrication. It looks to be welded. Someone made it up out of KL parts?

Eric
It does give that impression and I thought the same that the engine is fabricated from steel, however yesterday having a closer look it all seems iron castings.

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Forgot to mention that there was another KL engine with a camshaft driven water pump. The image is not well scanned, but you get the idea.

Eric

Twin.jpg

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
I think it is pretty obvious that it is just the early style BW crankcase pattern being reworked, with the Kelly and Lewis parts added to it. Nothing uncommon for a foundry to rework old patterns to perform a new job.
Wayne

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Something else that suggests to me that that engine isn't marine is Kelly and Lewis had the typical marine setup already in their Bartram engines. Just take the base off and plonk it in between some stringers.
I wonder if they were experimenting with the crankcase so the engine could be mounted within a cabinet like their pumps, compressors or gensets? The base on the above engine is interesting in it's footprint. It's not typical for a stationary engine of the time.
For those who aren't familiar with the Bartrams and their base here's a picture. You can see how easy it would be to convert to boat propulsion.

Cheers Scott

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Scott,
This is the original version of the BW. As you can see the magneto is mounted vertically which is probably not the same as your engine, but would be the same as the engine in Typak's photo. I have included a photo of the cast name to show how sharp the detail is compared to later models.
Cheers, Wayne

1.jpg1 (1).jpg

klanger57

Registered
I’m wondering if the engine was originally built into a machine of some sort then removed as a stand-alone engine?

Scotty 2

Registered
This is the original version of the BW. As you can see the magneto is mounted vertically which is probably not the same as your engine, but would be the same as the engine in Typak's photo. I have included a photo of the cast name to show how sharp the detail is compared to later models.
Great photos Wayne.
I wonder why they went from the traditional horizontal magneto mount you've shown to the vertical magneto mount generally seen on the BW's and the Triumph's had the magneto mount in the traditional horizontal orientation?
That casting is amasingly sharp. It's a shame it wasn't carried on.
Cheers Scott